21 What if it does?

Every minute now Roman had to come through the door with his mother and my nervousness almost went through the roof. Although Roman had assured me again and again that I had nothing to worry about, still she was his mom. The most important person in his life, well, or at least a very important one.

And our secret did not help me a bit at that moment. I could imagine that if the story got out, his mother would be anything but thrilled. It was impossible that she would react as casually as Summer.

"DJ? We're here! Where are you, baby girl?" I heard Roman call from the door.

Once again I tugged at my shirt to straighten it and smoothed my hair before taking a deep breath. With slightly hesitant steps, I joined the two of them. Roman's mom smiled warmly at me. Immediately, I felt a little better.

"Mom, this is DJ. DJ, this is my mom Patricia." said Roman.

"It's nice to finally meet you, Ma'am." I said, holding out my hand.

"Sweetheart, it's so nice to finally meet you. But you put that Ma'am back where you got it from. I'm Pat and in this family we hug!" she replied, pushing my hand away and hugging me tight.

"Well, now look at you! You are a beautiful young lady. I was so curious to finally meet the woman who makes my boy so beamingly happy. Oh, and of course my daughter has been gushing about you too," she continued as she took my hands in hers and spread my arms open.

"All I can say is that he makes me just as happy, Pat. You have a very special son. He is so caring and well behaved. I couldn't ask for a better man by my side. But now... the food is getting cold. Roman and I thought we could have brunch together. Afterwards we drive to the bay. Roman has booked a boat trip where we can watch dolphins," I replied as I could already feel my cheeks turning red.

"Oh, that's an excellent idea. I'm starving." Pat said and hooked her arm with mine as we went into the kitchen together and Roman followed us, chuckling softly.

I could already hear his 'I told you so'. But I was glad he was right. And my nervousness was quickly gone.

"DJ! Oh my goodness! Did you do all this yourself? Roman, I hope you helped!" said Pat when she saw what I had prepared.

"Um... to be honest..." he began nervously.

"I didn't let him help. It just would have taken longer that way. But it wasn't a big deal," I said quickly.

Together we sat down and ate and talked. Pat was without a doubt a charming woman who was easy to get along with. She had passed that on to her children. I could tell they all had a lot in common. What a great family I had found.

After we were done, the leftovers put away and the dishes washed, I excused myself briefly to freshen up before we went on our way. When I got back, I then overheard a conversation between the two of them.

"So... what do you think of her?" asked Roman quietly.

"She's a great woman. Smart, funny, charming. I can see why you're attracted to her. I'm just a little concerned that you're rushing things a bit. You haven't been a couple very long, and yet you're already living together. And then you work for the same company. Don't get me wrong, son, I like her. But I'm your mother and I'm allowed to worry about you," Pat replied.

Of course, I couldn't blame her for thinking that way. And it was natural and also understandable. I stood frozen and waited for Roman's answer.

"Listen mom. I appreciate that you're worried, but there's no need to be. I love DJ like I've never loved before. She's everything I've been looking for. For me, it was love at first sight. It was like I was struck by lightning. Life is short. Why waste time?" he said.

I smiled when I heard those words. This man was so special. At that moment, the love I felt for him grew a hundredfold. The heart in my chest was pounding like crazy.

"I'm just wondering why you are in such a hurry. Is there something I should know? Is she...?" asked Pat then.

"No Mom. DJ is not pregnant. But even if she was, that would be the greatest gift in my life." Roman said and immediately I fought back tears.

"But... what if it doesn't last?" his mom wanted to know. I felt like she was testing him.

"What if it does?" he asked in return.