57

The sound of water lapping against the sandy shore was so soothing and peaceful. Especially with the added gentle sound of the ocean kissing San's scales.

He had hauled himself a little further up the beach so he could comfortably sit back next to Yeosang while keeping most of his tail within reach of the water.

Part of him, the human part, still couldn't comprehend the sight. He had a tail. A beautiful, yellow gold tail. It was something he had wondered about ever since learning about Wooyoung's true identity and now he had one of his own.

He could finally be part of Wooyoung's world.

The weight of his mating necklace against his chest was a glorious reminder of the pact he now shared with the merman sleeping between Mingi and Yunho some distance behind them.

The trio all needed to recharge their magic, so with the help of Yeosang, Jongho and Hongjoong, they'd dug a shallow pool the three of them could lounge comfortably with their tails submerged.

When Jongho had asked why they wanted the hole, Yunho explained they wanted to stay close and not worry about any curious creatures coming from the ocean to investigate.

Once they were settled in, Jongho and Hongjoong decided to hike back up to the truck and see if there was anything they could use.

No one mentioned Seonghwa, but San knew they were going to look for him too.

The thing that surprised him the most was the fact that they shouldn't have to worry about anyone coming close to them for several hours still.

He understood why Wooyoung had been so confused. The events of their evening had all taken place within a few hours and it was shortly after midnight right now.

"What are you thinking about?" San asked quietly, not wanting to disturb the others even though he knew Wooyoung had purposefully picked a spot out of hearing range.

Next to him, Yeosang hummed and rested his chin on his arms, which were wrapped around his legs. His pants were soaked, but San had figured out how to use his magic to keep his friend warm so wouldn't freeze in the cool night air.

"I'm trying to picture life without being able to see you every day."

San made a small, pained sound while looking at his friend. And the sight immediately took his breath away.

Yeosang's head was tilted back now so he could stare up at the stars. There were tears in his eyes, which made the reflection in them twinkle. Yet... there was a small smile tugging at his lips.

"I don't mean that in a bad way." Yeosang continued. "It just... doesn't feel real right now. Which is silly because I'm sitting next to my best friend, my brother, and he has a freaking sunflower fish tail."

They both burst out laughing at that comment and San leaned into his friend. "Did you ever think-"

"No." Yeosang snorted, not even needing to hear the rest of San's question. "Not in a million years. But... I'm so happy for you. You deserve this, Sannie."

"You deserve happiness too." San sat up straight again and scrunched his eyebrows together. "And it had better be with Jongho."

Yeosang chuckled and nodded. "Don't worry. I don't think I could share my life with anyone else now. Not after all we've been through together."

"Plus he's crazy about you."

"I'm crazy about him too." Yeosang finally turned his head to meet San's gaze. There was nothing but love and adoration written on his face.