36

As much as San wanted to stay in the water with Wooyoung forever, he had to admit at one point that they should get back to let Yeosang and Jongho know that they were ok.

He laughed when the merman's lower lip pushed out in a pout, then reached up to pinch Wooyoung's cheek. "I know, but Sangie is a worrier."

It was so surreal to be talking underwater. His entire body's first reaction was to panic and make a mad dash for the surface. But as soon as he inhaled oxygen instead of water everything was fine.

Wooyoung looked up at the surface with a sad expression, then moved forward to wrap his arms around San's chest.

The pair stared at each other for a long time while drifting slowly through the water, propelled by each gentle movement of Wooyoung's tail.

"You're beautiful." San whispered. He smiled when he noticed a blush creep onto Wooyoung's cheeks. "I never got to say it before, but watching you swim is just... I can't even begin to describe it. Magical seems too ironic, but that's the best I can come up with."

Wooyoung bit his lip and ran one finger down the middle of San's chest. "You should see me in the ocean where the water is clear and blue."

San didn't miss the sultry tone in the merman's voice, but he gave in to it anyway. "Oh yeah?"

"Yeah." Wooyoung kept up his teasing touches. "Color is so much more vibrant there. And then add all the fish and coral and it's the most extraordinary thing."

"I can't wait to see it."

Wooyoung shivered under San's intense gaze. As they started to drift toward the surface, their lips connected in a slow, loving kiss.

There was no need, no hunger, no lust, just two people sharing an intimate connection in its purest form.

In a way, it held a different level of satisfaction that sex ever did as they spun in slow, lazy, upward circles.

San pulled away right before they broke through the surface. Water ran down his face, forcing hair into his eyes. He shook his head back and forth, then watched as Wooyoung did the same.

Even though he had been the one to suggest getting back, San didn't mind the lazy swim they fell into. They both laid on their backs, fingers laced together between them, while Wooyoung continued to be the one to move them toward shore.

It was perfect. Simply perfect.

When they finally made it back, Wooyoung transformed before they gathered their things to head back to camp.

And just as San had predicted, Yeosang was pacing by the fire while Jongho leaned over it in the process of cooking breakfast.

"There you are!" Yeosang cried out when he noticed the couple walking out of the trees. "Do you have any idea how worried we've been?"

"You've been." Jongho muttered, earning himself a glare from Yeosang.

"Where have you been?"

San made a noise somewhere between a laugh and a sigh. "Calm down, Sangie. We're fine, we just went for a walk."

Yeosang's eyebrow shot up and he crossed his arms. "With a blanket? And what, did you walk into the lake?"

"No, we went for a swim!" Wooyoung said with a giggle before nuzzling into San's side.

The action was so endearing that San couldn't help but throw his arm over the merman's shoulders and pressed a kiss to the side of his head.

When he turned back to his best friend, Yeosang pursed his lips with a silent promise to give San hell later.