33

"Do you think he's ok?" San asked while staring out over the lake.

"Yes, I'm positive he is still just as fine as when you asked us five minutes ago." Yeosang sighed. "Would you pay attention and help us finish please?"

"Sorry, sorry." San ran over to help Jongho hammer a few stakes for their tents into the ground. "He's just been gone for sometime now..."

His friends exchanged a playful smile before returning to their work.

San knew he was being silly. Wooyoung was perfectly capable of taking care of himself. But there was something about the way he just swam off without a backward glance that made San's heart ache.

Is that what would happen when they reached the ocean?

Before he knew it, San was using the collar of his shirt to dry his eyes.

Yeosang stopped working once more and moved to stand in front of him. "Sannie..." He twisted his lips to the side for a moment and San knew he was about to get one of those 'brotherly love' talks. "Have you told him how you feel?"

That was not the question San was expecting. His eyes grew wide and he could feel himself getting flustered under his friend's inquisitive gaze.

"I'll take that as a no." Yeosang grabbed the back of his neck with both hands and sighed. "San... What are you doing?"

"I don't know anymore, Sangie. This is all such a mess... But I do know I want what's best for him, and if that means having to let him go... then I will."

"But what about your happiness?"

San stepped forward to pull the older into a hug, which prompted Yeosang to wrap his arms around San's shoulders. "I'll find happiness again if I need to. And I'm always happy knowing I have my brother looking after me."

"Oh shut up." Yeosang mumbled, then pushed his nose into San's neck.

"Have you told Jongho how you feel yet?"

Yeosang tensed and tried to pull away, but San hugged him tighter to keep him there. "You are not turning this around on me. Our situations are completely different."

"I'll make you a deal. We have all weekend, so let's make it our goal to not leave until we both confess."

The older sucked in a breath, then nodded once. "Deal."

After they broke apart, the three of them finished setting up their campsite. Jongho had brought two tents, which they spaced out for some privacy, and things needed for a campfire.

San was in the process of digging a hole when he heard a loud splash come from the lake and a bright, "Sannie!"

He dropped them small shovel and immediately ran to the shoreline.

Wooyoung beamed as he dragged himself into shallow water. His long tail swished behind him, stirring up the water and dirt around it. But even with the water getting murky, San could see that his scales were already a more vibrant shake of purple and red.

"How are you feeling?" San asked as he rolled up his pants. He hissed when his toes first touched the water. It was colder than he remembered... but he forced himself forward so he could crouch in front of the merman.

"Wonderful! It's strange and different, but beautiful too!" Wooyoung's smile grew as he spoke. "The fish aren't as friendly, though."

San laughed, loving that the fish were a concern to Wooyoung. "Well they aren't used to having other things in their home. Plus humans come here to go fishing and will sometimes paddle board or canoe, but it's too cold for us to stay in the water for very long."