41

After San managed to calm himself down, he was able to wait long enough for the unicorn to rest its horn on Yeosang's shoulder to communicate with him.

There must have been a lot to be said, because it went on for several long minutes.

So San took to pacing. Endlessly.

He needed to do something to get his nervous energy out.

At one point he pulled out the scale he still wore around his neck.

If anything, it had to provide the most comfort. He still had a piece of Wooyoung with him. And it was something he needed more than anything...

San wasn't sure if he was going to scream at him or hug him the next time he saw the merman. Maybe both.

Either way, San ached.

The gentle brush of a hoof against dirt drew his attention and San looked to see the unicorn turning its attention to Jongho.

With wide, round eyes, the younger watched as the long horn in front of him began to glow and move to where he was cradling his injured hand. A brilliant flash of white light illuminated the area, forcing all three humans to quickly close their eyes.

A gasp came a few seconds later.

Jongho lifted his hand and clenched it a few times. "Thank you." He whispered, glancing at the unicorn as it bowed its head.

"She said it would be her final gift to us." Yeosang said gently, stepping forward to stand next to San. "Along with a piece of knowledge she was able to foresee."

"What is it?" San's hand moved, as if on its own, to grab his best friend's, seeking the comfort he needed right now. Just that touch, the feeling of their trembling fingers interlacing, was enough to ground him.

"We need to return to the location Wooyoung sent the letter from."

Jongho opened his mouth and closed it twice before speaking. "My apartment? Why?"

"Because help is coming, and that's where they will go." Yeosang sounded just as confused as he did hopeful.

The unicorn started to nod her head, confirming his words. Then the fairies joined in, chittering and giggling and giving little shrieks.

San felt the hair on his arms stand on end. A low hum filled the air, causing it to sway back and forth. It rustled the grass, the leaves, and even their clothes.

Magic.

Magic was saturating everything around them. It almost felt like some kind of electric pulse. That was the best was San could think to describe what was happening, even though he knew that was no where near close to the proper wording.

If he didn't believe what the unicorn had told Yeosang before, he did now. Somehow he knew this was the magic's way of telling him to trust what they had been told.

Without another second of hesitation, he bowed low to the unicorn and said, "Thank you," before tugging on Yeosang's hand to pull him back to the car.

Neither Yeosang or Jongho argued or tried to stop him.

When the oldest of their trio was behind the steering wheel, he turned on the car and pressed down hard on the gas pedal.

"Ok, it's late enough at night, we should be able to make good time." Yeosang's jaw was set in a look of deep concentration as he took the winding path back to the main road.

"I agree, get on the highway as soon as you can." Jongho said from the passenger seat. He had his phone out and was waiting to snag a signal so he could pull up a map. "There's no point in being cautious now, although I worry about my apartment being watched."