Breathe In, Breathe Out

Cody's POV

As I look into the mirror I see a different person, a different personality, a different me, each and every day I'm changing. Every day a new me, stuck in this abandoned hellhole. They tell me I'm stuck in here until I'm okay, but I'm doing fine, just trying to deal with a different amount of emotions all at once. But apart from that I'm your normal average everyday human. There's nothing to be afraid of.

Getting up, I look at my clock on the wall, 6:47 am. Breakfast is not until another couple of hours, so I sat down at my desk and grabbed a book and a pen. Looking up at the mirror straight opposite my desk, I smiled at myself "Now who are you today Mr Carson?" I said to my reflection. I promise you, I'm not going crazy... I'm fine.

It takes me a while to gather the thoughts of who I am or who I was. Just me and the mirror having a starting contest until one of us breaks. Breaking out the stare I looked at myself "Oh? So you're him today, I see Mr Carson, I like that form" I mumbled smiling down at my book.

Opening up my book, I flicked a few pages I always start at the back of the book for fresh doodles and the front is for writing. Ripping out a few smudged pages I cracked them into a ball, throwing it at the mirror. I felt a glare staring into my soul, looking up I saw myself growling and shouting, "Why did you do that for? What did I do wrong? Don't you dare do that again!" Rolling my eyes, I looked down at my book, scribbling some words down on the pages.

Every time I got fed up with the sentence, the page was torn out and scrunched up into a ball form and laid on my desk. I could never get a perfect sentence written in this form. It's like it doesn't want me to write about these sorts of days...

I have been in this place for around 253 days now, and gained different forms, with some I don't remember. I was meant to be going home by the end of my first week, but I'm stuck here trapped with just me, myself and I.

Hearing a knock on my door, I looked up, not bothering to clean my desk for the carer. He walks in smiling, "Hey Cody, only Dee. Are you okay this morning, how are you feeling?"

Staring, I mumbled "I'm absolutely fine, couldn't do any better. I'm wonderful." I slowly hid my book under my desk, hoping he doesn't open it up to read my actual feelings.

Dee smiles, "That's great. If you get a clear every day this week, then we might be looking in to see if we can get you home. Wouldn't that be fun?"

Nodding, I pushed my scrap bits of paper into the bin just below my desk, "It would be amazing... To experience life beyond this cage" I said, just focusing on putting my clean bits of paper away.

Dee nods, putting some plastic cutlery and some breakfast on my desk. As he opened my curtains to allow the light into my room he explains, "Yesterday as I was doing my nightly checks on everyone that Kyle opposite you was telling me how he's your worse enemy. What did you do to him to make him think that? Or was he just having another episode of blaming everyone again?"

I shrugged eating my food and mumbled, "Nobody likes me in here, nobody visits, I'm just hated all around this place."

"Awh I'm sure that's not true Cody, besides I like our daily chats, it will be a shame to see you leave." He smiles, just putting my breakfast back on the tray as soon as I finished eating.

"Hmhm I'd miss you too..." I said, watching as he left the room, he knows not to say goodbye to me. Dee is the only one who actually understands me in here... Nobody else does.

Taking my book back out I flipped to the front page, laughing to myself "Worse enemy... Imagine being that scared of me, you have to claim me as your enemy."

Laughing the whole way through I grabbed my pencil drawing in graffiti styled I wrote "I am my own worse enemy." I began to write it across the front cover of the book, in small or in large text, just enough to fill out the whole cover. Looking back at the artwork I have created I smiled to myself muttering "That's right... I am my own worse enemy..."