Chapter twenty six: Feeling empty

Marissa

First thing Madeline said to me was, "My house after school. Alex urgently needs to speak to you."

My eyes widened at her and after she nodded vigorously, confirming my hopeful thoughts.

"I'll be there," I replied before rushing to class.

The idea of Alex finding out who Lorna's tormentor was brought shivers to my spine. The situation was chilling if you thought hard enough, which was why I tried to keep my brain in check and ignore my unrealistic thoughts.

Bounding into class, I sent a wide grin Miles' way and dashed over towards him. I was tempted to sit near Jordan and start up a conversation with him about the tormentor. However, after realising that I had never in fact told Miles about our little mission, I decided to not make a scene and trapped every urge to get up and speak to Jordan. I felt it was best to keep Miles at a distance, even if he was close friends with my sister. He didn't deserve to relive those awful memories.

I slipped my phone out of my blazer pocket and sent a quick text to Jordan, praying that his phone was on silent.
Meet me in car park after school. Can't talk in school. Miles will get suspicious.

I let out a slight cheer after not hearing the 'ping' from his phone and leant back in my seat with my eyes focused on the white board in front of me.

As I was about to escape the dreary, miserable classroom, I felt a hand grab onto my wrist and pull me to the side. I was about to slap the hand away when I saw the grey familiar eyes steer closer to mine.

"I will meet you in the car park-but what confuses me is that you haven't told Miles at all," he whispered, his eyes switching to each of mine.

I glanced to the ground and then lifted my head, connecting my eyes to the curly caramel hair that bounced with each step as he headed to his next class.

"I feel like I can't...Miles is like family to me..." I murmured, rubbing my arms.

"Even more reason to tell him, you know, in case meeting the person doesn't go our way," Jordan answered honestly, fear swirling in his eyes. "I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the tormentor will do exactly what it says on the tin- torment you."

"Jordan, way to say it lightly!" I hissed, slapping his arm.

He narrowed his eyes at me and rubbed the place where my hand connected with his clothed skin.

"I don't like it as much as you do." He gritted his teeth, agitatedly ran a hand through his hair a and then carried on. "But Marissa, if it somehow does happen and I can't prevent it, then it's better to have more people on your side to protect you. Plus, Miles can take care of himself. Have you seen his build?"

I nodded, agreeing with him. He was right. Miles was one tough guy.

“What if involving him puts him in danger?" I exclaimed, squeezing my eyes with worry. "This tormentor won’t just hurt me- they’ll hurt anybody close to me. I can’t involve Miles.”

"If I’m being honest, I think Miles would care more about you and your safety than his own, " Jordan said, staring me straight in the eyes with piercing assurance.

I shook my head firmly. “I won’t involve him.”
I twisted my body away from him about to leave for class, but he clasped onto my forearm pulling me back to him.

“Marissa, look at me.”

I refused to meet his eyes, darting them to the math’s corridor.

“Hey, hey,” he whispered in a caring tone, breaths skidding smoothly over my skin.