Chapter eight: Bird rescuer

Marissa

"We were close, weren't we Lorna? I hope you felt that we were, even if you couldn't tell me about the problems you were suffering from."

"Mari, have you heard about the beef between...Mar," he began to say, clicking his fingers in front of my face. "You alright?"

"Huh?" I shook my head, breaking out of my consuming thoughts. "What were you saying Miles?"

"Never mind." He raised his eyebrow, giving me a curious look. "What were you thinking about?"

"J-Just stuff, you know." I shrugged my shoulders, averting my eyes to the lunch table.

I actually was thinking about how today would pan out as I was supposed to be going to the cinema with Jordan. I was worrying mostly about it because someone from school could see us at any time. Miles could see us. We were hanging out in plain sight so why wouldn't he notice us?

"Stuff? Is it about... Gracie?" He whispered, glancing over to the popular table. "Because I'm totally okay with talking about her now."

"No, it's not about her," I responded, staring at the table that seemed to be missing Jordan.

"Well whatever it is, I'm here for you," he softly murmured, stretching over to pat my hands.

"Thanks, Miles." I smiled at his caring action. "Same for you, bud."

The bell rang, signalling the end of lunch. My heart raced at the fact that I only had two more lessons until I would be going to the cinema with Jordan. I hadn't told Miles and to be completely honest I didn't want to.

I mean it wasn't that serious to be watching a movie with Jordan. Miles didn't need to know. If he did somehow find out, I could only hope that it wouldn't matter that much to him.

With my mind spinning, I walked slowly to class after saying a brief goodbye to Miles.

My heart thumped against my chest as I steadily packed up my things after my teacher dismissed us. I shakily swung my bag onto my back and left the classroom with only one thought on my mind.

Jordan wasn't here today and I hoped that he was ill. Wishing people were ill was low of me but I didn't really want to go with him.

The movie seemed great yet the company didn't.

Scuffing my feet along the concrete, I peeked forward and whatever hope I had left disintegrated. Jordan was there, smugly waiting for me against the school's gates.

Did he seriously skive and then come collect me from school!?

"Peters." I nodded to him, clutching onto my bag's straps.

"Little mouse." He nodded back, slipping his hands into his hoodie's pockets.

"It's Marissa." I glared, studying his outfit.

"Knew that." He grinned at me, turning out of the gates.

Jordan wore a grey hoodie along with black jeans and red high top timberlands whilst I wore my flipping school uniform.

"Uh, Jordan, could I at least wear clothes other than my school uniform?" I sheepishly asked, glancing down at my pencil skirt, blazer and white blouse.

"Well that would depend on if your house is in the same direction as the cinema." He yawned, pointing in the opposite direction from where I would walk home.

"I guess I'm sticking with the uniform then," I muttered.

"Off we go to the cinema, little mouse," he chirped, grabbing onto my hand as he tugged me further away from my safe place- home.