Chapter one: Let her be

Marissa

The violent gusts of wind shook the trees and bushes around me. The leaves and branches rustled together, like the sound of paper being scrunched up into a ball continuously.

Each blast ripped through the air, knocking down whatever stood in its way. Blood rushed around my body as my heart pumped at the same speed. My legs were screaming at me to slow down, but I couldn’t stop. I needed to run.

Turning my head to look behind me, my pony tail whipped back against my face and through the thickness of my hair I could just about make out a dark figure following behind me. I let out a small cry and kept sprinting up the huge hill ahead of me.

"Hello?" I yelled as loud as I could over the blusters of wind, heavy urgency in my tone. "Is anyone there?"

The ribbon keeping my hair tied back came loose and flew wildly in the wind. I patted my hair down and continued to scan my surroundings. Trees stood in my way, most of them bending backwards and forwards with the wind’s direction.

I moved further away from the trees until I halted, seeing a massive ten foot drop  below me. Ferocious waves crashed against the cliff’s rocky base, howling in the swirling wind. Each small spray of salty foam from the moody sea splashed across the grey rocks.

I backed away from the cliff edge, my breaths coming out in terribly fast pants.

"I need-" I paused to take a brief breath, feeling lightheaded all of a sudden.

Panic surged up inside me. Whenever I went to breathe, the heavy gales blew all the air I could inhale. I grabbed onto the tree beside me, my vision going blurry . My limbs felt numb and soon enough the whirling wind was just background noise.

"Marissa, shhh. It's ok." A familiar, gentle voice whispered to me.

With a start, I shot up, breathing heavily as beads of sweat formed along my forehead.

"Marissa, calm down. Shhh, hey, hey. Don't worry," a comforting voice consoled me.

My mum had wrapped me up into her warm arms whilst I sobbed like a baby onto her chest.

I blinked my eyes a few times and then scanned the room. My bedroom light was on and my door was wide open.

For a few minutes, I cried and cried onto my mum. I probably snotted into her shoulder and dribbled onto her favourite dressing gown. I was an absolute mess.

After the lovely 10 minutes of me wailing into my mother's arms, she then practically carried me down the stairs and into the kitchen where she made me a hot chocolate. I tried to refuse the offer but in the end she started making it anyway.

Sitting on the island's stool, I stared at my mum whilst she made the hot chocolate. All I could do was just stare. If somebody walked into the kitchen and saw the state I was in, the thought of me coming out of a mental asylum would definitely cross their mind.

It was like my mind ignored my emotions and my emotions ignored my mind. It was as if my emotions were uncontrollable and all over the place, but I just couldn't express them.

"Sweetie, I'm sorry that you had another nightmare again. What was it about this time?" She asked carefully, turning around to face me after she started boiling the kettle.

"I c-can't remember. It's just a little bit hazy that's all." I grimaced, folding my arms as my shoulders shuddered.

Often I would come out of my nightmare not remembering what it was about. Perhaps it was the brain's way of protecting you.

"That's okay, Marissa." She smiled lightly, going back to grab the mugs from the cupboard.

"D-Do you think she'll come back, mum?" I asked suddenly, causing her to drop whatever she was doing.

"Mari." My mum sat down on one of the island's chairs. "You know as well as I do that...she can't."

"I know that but I need her here, mum," I whispered, my voice barely audible.

"I do too," she said in a hoarse tone, clutching onto my hand and stroking it with her soothing fingers. "But one day, you're going to have to let her be."

Reaching over to grab her hands, I copied her movements, "At least I have you and dad."

"Yes and about your father, where has that silly man got to?" She giggled half-heartedly.

"Yeah, where is dad?" I enquired, glancing at the kitchen door.

"He went to go fetch something for me at Costa," my mum responded softly, smiling at the thought of her goofy husband.

"Mum!" I gasped, slapping her arm. "Dad must be getting tired by now. He's such a lovestruck doofus, even I can see that."

"Your dad is just a loveable guy that's all. He's like a big teddy bear; he can give great hugs and is stuck with you for life," she told me, getting up from the island's stool after the kettle had boiled. "I can see who you got most of your traits from, Marissa."

"You mean I'm like that too?" I scoffed, hearing the front door open.

"Yes, a teddy bear that is always there as a helping hand to anyone that needs it." She beamed, hurrying over to the front door to, most likely, kiss my exhausted father.