Chapter eleven: Vulnerable Boy

Marissa

"And I'm sorry for not noticing that you were struggling."

It was Wednesday and today I had decided to talk to Elijah. I didn't know what I was going to do or entirely say but I knew what I definitely wasn't going to say. I couldn't just say outright 'Did you bully my sister?'. Of course any person would say no to that. I needed to do it slyly. I needed to find out if he was capable of bullying anyone first.

Today I had Geography, so it would be the perfect day to talk to Elijah. That was one of the classes I shared with only Elijah. There was no Miles or Gracie or Jordan to be aware of. Unfortunately, Geography included Mrs Stevens. She was the teacher who I had mistaken for a pigeon. Since then, she hadn't been happy with me. I had to be careful around her. Also, Elijah could be mad at me for getting him thrown into detention. That kind of was my fault so I wouldn't be shocked if he ignored me completely.

Sprinting downstairs, I yelled out a brief goodbye and headed to school. I was hoping today would go well as I needed to get through my whole list before school ended. I couldn't exactly call up the people on my list and befriend them when school ended. That would be super obvious.

On my way to school, I realised that Jordan may have told Elijah who he had taken to the cinema instead of him. I really hoped he hadn't because Elijah was always found guilty of spreading rumours, like Nicola White, another person on my list.

On the other hand, the rumour would have been aimed at his best friend too so Jordan would have killed him anyway.

"Hey, you alright, Mar?" A voice broke me out of my thoughts, making me realise that I had arrived at school.

"Huh?" I asked, scanning my surroundings.

"You walked here looking like a zombie," he chuckled, patting my shoulder.

"Yeah..." I trailed off, staring at Elijah and Jordan from across the field.

Elijah seemed to be gripping his hair in panic whilst Jordan tried his best to calm him down. Elijah's face was painted with worry. I saw him start to move his mouth to speak.
Unfortunately, I was too far away to hear what he was saying, but it seemed to have made Jordan very angry because he then started to kick furiously at the tree bark next to him.

If I wasn't so curious, I would have been eyeing his bulging muscles in delight. Jordan abruptly stopped and stormed off inside the school, abandoning a wide-eyed Elijah.
I didn't follow him though. I had seen angry guys like him before and all they needed was to cool down. They didn't need people helping them calm down.

"Mar, are you even listening to me?" Miles questioned, poking my cheek.

I turned to him and shook my head. "Sorry, Miles. What were you saying?"

"I think I've moved on from Gracie now," he announced proudly, not annoyed one bit that I had blanked him.

"Really? It's only been a couple of days." I squinted my eyes.

"Yep, there's this really cute girl from my swimming team. I mean we both have something actually in common," he responded enthusiastically.

"Well, I hope it works out for you guys," I told him, punching his massive bicep.

"Me too." He grinned widely.

The bell rang, which then created a massive crowd around the front entrance. Miles and I waited for the eager crowd to disperse so that we could easily get through without being pummeled to the ground.
Geography was my first lesson of the day so I left Miles and made a beeline towards the Geography classes.