Chapter six: Brokenhearted boy

Marissa

"I can't see the sparkle in mum's and dad's eyes anymore."

It was the day of Gracie's barbecue and I knew we were going when Miles turned up in his light blue shirt and dark blue jeans. It was a casual outfit, but we both knew who he was trying to impress- the girl who had nothing better to do but ditch us for the popular group.

"Come on, Marissa. She didn't exactly say no, did she?" He raised his eyebrow up lively.

I hadn't told Miles about Jordan cheating yesterday because otherwise he would have known that I lied to him. Plus, I didn't want to get on Jordan's bad side. He'd probably do more than just twist my arm.

"No, but would she want us there? We're not exactly...'risky'." I rolled my eyes, standing up to grab my mascara from my desk.

"We're going, Mari. Come on!"

I managed to get one coat over each eye before Miles was dragging me down the stairs.

"We're going out Mrs Parks!" Miles called out.

"Good bye, darlings!" She yelled to us from the kitchen.

He tugged me out of the door and once we were outside I shook my hand out of his.

"I can walk, you know," I grunted, almost slipping down the doorstep. 

I looked at him with one last warning look as if to say “If this crashes and burns, then I told you so”, and then I barged past him.

"Let's go, loser."

Miles, being the polite one between us, rang the doorbell. I would have banged on the door until she got annoyed and opened it.

"She can't just blank us, Mari," he stubbornly told me. "We've known her for a lot longer."

I stared at the floor whilst the door opened, hoping she wouldn't mind us being here. In my head I chanted, "Please don't blank us. Please don't blank us."

"Ah, Peters. What a rather glorious surprise!" Miles sarcastically cheered.

My head swung up as I saw Jordan casually leaning against the door, his arms folded against his chest.

"So what do you two losers want?" He asked us, smirking at me in amusement.

"Gracie's our friend, man," Miles stated. "What are you supposed to be doing here anyway?"

"Well she invited me and my friends to it and free food is free food so..." He trailed off.
"Jordan what is taking you so long-" Gracie came towards us. "Oh."

"Oh? They're your mates, aren't they?"

Jordan frowned, looking down at Gracie. He was tall, alright!

"Well kind of," she responded, rubbing her arm awkwardly.

"Kind of? What the hell, Gracie!" Miles yelled, throwing his hands up into the air.

"Didn't Marissa tell you, Miles?" She winced, scrunching her face up.

"Yes, but I didn't think she was serious." He shook his head in disbelief. "Whatever, Gracie."

Miles shook his head once more and stormed passed me, bashing my shoulder which sent me backwards from the force of it.

"Well, have fun, Gracie," I sardonically chuckled, waving at her. "See you at school, or will I?"

Patting my hips, I turned around and chased after a heartbroken Miles.

"I really liked her, Mari."  He gripped his caramel hair tightly, his elbows resting on his knees as he cradled his head.

After a few minutes of silence, Miles confessed to me about his huge crush on Gracie. It was like an awful heart break without the breaking up or rejection part.

"It's alright, Miles.” I awkwardly patted his head and then wrapped my arms over his shoulders.

He sniffed, wiping his face with his forearm. “I kind of just want to go home.”

"If that's what you want, but you’re always welcome to stay over for a bit, especially until the barbecue’s over. I have all the Star Wars films lined up ready for you, " I said with a warm smile, staring into his sad blue eyes.

He gave me a small, grateful smile and then shook his head. “No it’s ok…I’m not letting her ruin my home too.”

I nodded in understanding. "Ok, bud. Remember to treat yourself and watch a marathon of comedy movies to make yourself feel better." I grinned, ruffling his hair as he bent down to slip on his shoes.

"See ya, Mar." He hugged me before leaving.

My mum came round the corner with a cup of tea and a pitying smile on her face. "Will he be alright, Marissa?"

"Yeah, I think he will be." I nodded to her and thanked her for the tea.

The waves crashed with ferocity against the crumbling cliffs. I held the letter with a tight grip and hiked up the jagged rocks.

"Lorna! What are you doing?" I cried out, seeing a figure that was standing too close to the edge.

"There's no need to come after me, Marissa!" Lorna turned around to stare at me blankly with her- grey eyes?

"Your eyes? Why are they different?" I yelled as I got closer and closer to her.

I was now seeing Jordan's face. His unforgettable eyes were filled with fire that made my body tremble at the sight. His face expressed rage.

"You told somebody about what I did!" His deep voice growled. "What did I tell you?"
I stayed quiet.

"I said WHAT. DID. I. TELL. YOU?" He spat.

"To f-forget what I s-saw," I stammered, my eyes on the powerful waves.

"And did you?" He chuckled bitterly. "No you didn't!"

"I didn't though-"

"Enough! I've had enough with your lies," he snapped. "I'm sure Lorna had too."

Before I could reply, he took hold of my collar and shook my small frame.

"You belong with your sister! At the bottom of the ocean." He grinned sinisterly.

"No, no, no!" I screamed with terror. "Jordan please! Please!"

"What, don't you want to be with your sister?" He continued, hovering my body over the cliff. "Your beloved sister."

"Yes," I cried, clutching onto his hand that held onto my collar. "But not like this!"

"Well, let's make it quicker!" He then dropped me with no remorse.

My screams got lost in the wind as I zoomed quickly through the air.

"Marissa, shh, please stop screaming," a gentle voice rang through my ears.

I felt my body lose consciousness whilst in the air and soon everything went black. The last thing I saw was the sadistic look in Jordan's eyes.

I shot up out of bed with a sweaty back and a wave of nausea. My body trembled as tears streamed down my face.

That time it was my dad comforting me and I gratefully embraced his big, teddy bear hugs, feeling much safer in his arms.

"How do they disappear, dad?" I asked him, my voice muffled by his t-shirt.

"I don't know, sweetie," he whispered, kissing the crown of my head and stroking my hair softly. "I really don't know."