Chapter nineteen: Broken at the grave

Marissa

We stood outside of the hospital building, but never went in. Jordan looked hesitant and I wanted to shove him through the open double doors- but I didn’t obviously. I really wanted Jordan to say his last goodbye if his nan didn't have that long, but I couldn't force him. No-one could.

He breathed out a sad-sounding sigh and then nodded his head. "Here it goes, I guess," he breathlessly spoke before walking into the hospital.

"You know what room we're going to, right?" I asked, following him as we made our way past the receptionist desk.

All I got was a nod, which wasn't very reassuring. I preferred the responses that actually included talking.

As we were silently walking down the hospital corridor, my eyes landed on many distressed, concerned and miserable faces. I shuddered at a memory that tried to force its way into my mind. It was a memory that I was often trying to bury and hide away for at a least year. Thinking about that day and the pain on my family members' faces was always something that I tried to push into the back of my mind, but it would somehow find its way back eventually.

Memories were a funny thing. They always loved to spring up on us. Our embarrassing moments; upsetting experiences that we all wanted to desperately forget. The amount of times I had cringed over a mortifying memory was incredible. Cringing seemed to be in my daily routine.

"We're here," he murmured, pointing at the room and then opening the door.

For some reason, I was nervous. Those people in that room meant everything to Jordan. They were his world and, in a way, I felt like I had to impress them. I wanted their respect and I hadn't even met them yet.

"Hey, mum. Hey, dad," he nervously spoke out as he stepped into the room.

My eyes immediately floated towards the elderly woman who lied in the hospital bed, sick and exhausted.

"Nan." He nodded at her before glancing to the floor. "I-I'm sorry...uh-"

He paused for a minute, clearly awkward and ashamed. His stammering was what made me cut him off and introduce myself.

"Hello, nice to meet you all." I grinned friendly at them. "I'm Marissa Parks."

Jordan gave me a small and a thankful nod and averted his eyes to the ground.

His parents smiled kindly at my introduction, but seemed a bit confused as well. I guess Jordan had never spoken about me before.

"Oh, what is a lovely girl like you doing with that lad, dear? He's about as thick as my apple pie filling," his nan chuckled amusingly, receiving small smiles from Jordan's parents in return.

"We're not-"

"She isn't my-"

Jordan and I both stopped our protests and exchanged wide eyed looks, whilst his nan smirked on the hospital bed. How could an elderly woman on a hospital bed be so lively and playful?

"Nan, I-I'm sorry," Jordan suddenly spoke up, ignoring the baffled glances from his parents.

"For being as thick as my apple pie filling?" She raised her eyebrow at him playfully.

"I thought you were going to die, Nan," his trembling voice was filled with so much pain as he whispered his apology. "The doctor said-"

"Forget what the doctor said, sweetie. I'm alive, aren't I?" She began to laugh again, but a heaving cough took over her body.

"Mum!" His dad called out, panic-stricken as he rushed over towards her.

"Don't be ridiculous, son." She waved away his frantic hands. "I just had some water stuck in my throat- that's all."