Chapter fifteen: Ominous memories

Marissa

Feeling an ounce of jealousy spark up inside of me, I stomped over to my sister who was building a den that looked similar to the one we had built last week.

"Why are you building the same den you built with me last week, but with her instead?" I asked, hurt at the thought of my sister finding a replacement.

Lorna shook her head and patted my shoulder. "Don't worry that's only our thing, I'm just showing her."

"But I don't want you showing her!" I stubbornly yelled out, stamping my foot down on the ground. "Whoever she is."

A small figure crawled out of the den and stood up with a facial expression of excitement. "This is so cool!"

I narrowed my eyes at the brown haired girl with glasses and crossed my arms grumpily.
Her face turned towards me and scrunched up in confusion. "Am I seeing double?"

Lorna giggled light-heartedly whilst a small grimace work its way onto my face.
"No, that's just my twin, Marissa," Lorna chuckled again before whispering, "Don't mind her, she's being a moody Judy."

The girl laughed along with Lorna, causing my frown to deepen further.

"Oh cheer up, Mari!" Lorna smiled softly with her small dimples. "We're only messing with you."

"Well, who is she?" I asked bluntly.

"My best friend," Lorna explained. "Madeline Clark."

The memory with Lorna and Madeline was still present in my brain. I held each memory with Lorna close to me, since I knew that I wouldn't be able to make new memories with her ever again. I even kept the ones with Madeline because my sister still loved her, despite Madeline unforgivingly ditching Lorna. It was quite like what Gracie did to Miles and I, and it was painful. I couldn't have imagined how Lorna felt. They had been friends with each other since they were both seven years old.

Miles and Gracie didn't know about Madeline's disloyalty. Lorna didn't want them to find out and harass Madeline for it. My sister asked me to tell Miles and Gracie that Madeline was really busy and couldn't be there with us at lunchtime, which may have been why Miles had started talking again to Madeline once she came here.

"Wrong…It’s Marissa." I stared at her for a while and noticed that her glasses were gone and her hair was now cut to shoulder length. "So, what are you doing back?"

She rubbed her arms worriedly and replied, "My parents hated the other school I had moved to."

I watched her continue to gnaw on her bottom lip, eyes darting left and right struggling to meet mine.

"I'm not mad, you know." I stared at her, my eyes fixed on her face. "I just want to know why you did it."

She glanced around anxiously, leaned in and whispered, "Did you get the texts?"

"What do you mean?" I questioned, completely baffled by her cryptic question.

She shook her head and murmured, "It doesn't matter" before dashing off.

I tilted my head to the side a little in thought and suddenly a memory resurfaced.
Something that didn’t seem hugely important at the time. But now, it flashed red like the lights on an ambulance.

My phone kept buzzing vigorously on my desk, causing a huge sigh to be released from my mouth. Why did people always have to ring at ungodly hours in the morning?

Sitting up from my warm, comfy bed, I stretched my limbs inelegantly as I let out a massive yawn. I reached for my vibrating phone and clicked answer before putting it to my ear.