Chapter two: Speaking Pigeons

Marissa

"You know, it hurts to talk about you. To hear your name. To think about you."

The relief-bringing bell blared, breaking me out of my amazing daydream. Shame the bell didn't bring me any relief. I was just about to eat the glorious, golden cupcake I had been seeking out for days.

"Marissa! Don't you have a class to be getting to?" A pigeon squawked- wait what.

The pigeon could speak.

"Huh?" I babbled on, scanning my surroundings with blurry eyes and a pounding head.

"Women do not say 'huh?'. They say 'Pardon'. Disgraceful manners."

My vision focused on a furious Mrs Stevens who was towering over me like a hawk. Get it? Because she was a pigeon but now she is a hawk. You know both- yeah whatever.

"Oh my gosh, I am extremely sorry Mrs Stevens," I gasped, feeling my cheeks start to get hot under her criticising gaze.

"You better be young lady. Now get to class!" She barked, pointing towards the door.

I hastily grabbed all of my things and chucked them into my bag. Jumping out of my seat, I hobbled over to the door and rushed to the direction of my next class.

Standing in the doorway of my next class, I choked out breathlessly, "I am so sorry, Miss Bigsby. I forgot to set my alarm so I got to school very sleepy and then I ended up daydreaming about cupcakes and pigeons and I woke up fully from my daydream under Mrs Stevens terrifying glare and-"

"Enough!" A teacher, who definitely wasn't Miss Bigsby, shouted. "You must have got the wrong class, dear."

My eyes widened instantly as I took in all of the small year sevens who were on the verge of laughing. Wait what year was I in again? Oh yeah, year eleven. Well crap.

“So sorry," I quickly said, opening and closing the door as fast as I could say “Go”.
It turned out my class was right next door…and they heard all of my rambling. What a morning.

"Did you see Miss Bigsby's face? It was hilarious," Gracie giggled to Miles who shook his head with amusement in his eyes.

"Guys, I thought you were my friends," I grumbled, swallowing the tasteless chocolate, not really, mousse that was in my mouth.

"We are." Gracie grinned, reaching over to grab my arm. "But I just can't help it. You're totally adorable when you're embarrassed, right Miles?"

"Right." He nodded, glancing down at the table to hide his smile.

Gracie and Miles were, supposably, my two best mates. Gracie always brightened my mood with her crazy jokes and teasing smiles whilst Miles would be the one to go to for proper advice. Miles was more the calm and collected friend and Gracie was the mental one that would get on your nerves but always make up for it in the end with amazing surprises.

I loved them both, but the more time I spent with them the more time I felt like a third wheel. I wouldn't be surprised if they both came and said to me that they were dating because they sure acted like a couple.

I, more or less, was the other friend who just got ditched when it was partner work and we were all in the same class. Sad, I know, but what can you do when your two best mates have known each other for longer than you have

Let's just say Miles and Gracie were next door neighbours since they could walk.

"So, who's excited for my barbecue this weekend?" Gracie exclaimed, giddy as a happy sheep. "I mean you are coming, aren't you Marissa?"

"Yes, wouldn't miss it for the world," I said with less enthusiasm than Gracie.

"That's good." Gracie nodded vigorously. "Miles you're obviously coming, right?"

"Got nothing else to do." Miles leant back in his seat, propping his muscly arms over his chest.

You may be asking why his arms were so muscly. Well Miles adored swimming as much as I adored pizza. He enjoyed the rush it gave him apparently. That was what he said anyway.

"So that's sorted then. Let's talk about-"

And the bell went before Gracie could gossip about her many school crushes.

"It's been a long day, Frederick," I huffed out to my ginger cat that laid lazily on the sofa. "I'm just going to lay down with you if that's ok with you, Frederick."

Ignoring the fact that my ginger cat wasn't supposed to be laying on the sofa, I sat with him in my school uniform. I was so glad that it was Friday. That meant I could just lay in for however long I wanted to.

"Frederick, I had a terrible day today. I was exhausted too." I yawned, stretching my arms out. "Ugh school is so draining. Never go to school, Frederick. It isn't fun."

Hearing a satisfying click from my bones, I laid down to cuddle with my ginger cat that never hugged me back. I should have got a dog instead.

Before I could close my eyes to drift off into my own world, my mum had to go and ruin it by prodding my tired muscles.

"No cats allowed on the furniture. Gosh, school really does take a toll on you physically and mentally," my mum drawled out, stroking my cheek gently. "And Marissa get out of your school clothes, you'll crinkle them. It's only Tuesday."

Please pray for my muscles that were going to die today.

"Oh and Marissa you have PE tomorrow, meaning you have to take your PE kit. It's by the front door when you need it for tomorrow," my mum informed me.

Make that two prayers.