Wish of Normalcy

Ch.27

"You're not up? Oh sweetheart, what did you do yesterday? Are you still exhausted?"

What? Your eyes peeled open in your half-awake state. Everything was blurry at first and it didn't help when the curtains were opened wide. The bright light made you cover your eyes as you groaned. You were still in bed at your cottage and it must have been near the afternoon. Only one person would barge into your cottage unannounced and it was your sweet mother. Miss Arla delicately touched your face, smiling at you now that you were beginning to wake up. She sat on your bed as she softly stroked your skin with her nails. It was making you sleepy all over again when she did that.

"Were you up late?" Miss Arla asked.

"I guess."

She didn't need to know that you and a bunch of creatures were playing a game that went all the way until the late evening. After lunch, Hoseok presented two leather balls he made and explained the rules of the game. Something the elves played all the time. Since food was done, all of you figured it wouldn't hurt to play after some convincing. You just didn't realize how competitive a majority of the guys were. They were bent on winning and refusing to quit the game after a couple rounds. Even Seokjin was determined to keep it going to improve the use of his legs. So you were definitely there for a while with them.

"Make sure to not make it a habit. You need your rest." Miss Arla pulled her hand away from you to grab a cup of water on a table nearby. She brought it to you and you knew you had to get up. No more sleeping which was fine. You pushed yourself up into a sitting position, thanking her as you took the cup. "Drink it all. I did my best to make breakfast for you."

Miss Arla gave you a hopeful smile. Cooking wasn't her strong suit, but she did it because she cared. The last thing she wanted was for you to be on an empty stomach. Even though you could have made it yourself, you were thankful she cared enough to do so. More importantly, you hoped she didn't snoop too much while you were asleep. You figured she kept herself to the kitchen seeing as Miss Arla didn't even trust herself cooking. Still, you swallowed the water hard when she looked away. She didn't notice you inching your blanket closer to the ground in order to cover what was underneath your bed. If Miss Arla knew you were hiding something or specifically someone...it'd be over for you.

The worst part about it was that this was someone she'd never seen before. A lot happened yesterday! It made you want to wince, but you had to put on a smile for Miss Arla. Technically she has seen this certain someone before, but not in their human form. Youngjo joined the game and you turned him human for it. You were supposed to turn him back, but he put up a fight and said to turn him back in the morning. That clearly wasn't happening any time soon. Youngjo better stay under your bed and keep quiet if he truly cares about you. It's a miracle he had time to shove himself under there. He was not small when he became human, that's for sure.

"Thank you. I'll go eat it." You gave her a smile before downing the water as best as you could. The water almost went down the wrong way, but you survived without having a coughing fit. You quickly got up and had her walk with you to the kitchen. Maybe that'll give Youngjo enough time to sneak into the attic or run into the woods. "What made you come over?"

"Because I missed you. Or what? Do I need a better reason to see you?" Miss Arla teased as she led you over to the kitchen table. She was only joking, yet you wanted to tell her no. She could come over any time she wanted. If only you weren't hiding so much from her then maybe you could feel close to Miss Arla like you used to. "Here's the breakfast I was talking about. I tried to make eggs, but it's a little burnt..."

"I can't wait." Your voice was soft. Miss Arla told you that you didn't have to eat it as she nervously rubbed her hands. She didn't need to worry.

You ate her food with a smile and stared at her warmly when you finished. Even though she wanted you to eat good food, this was the most she could do, but you were thankful for it. Watching you finish eating a plate reassured her that you would be fine. As for you, you were struggling to swallow a lump in your throat. Your eyes were stinging when you looked at Miss Arla for too long. Your emotions were getting the best of you. Whatever you were feeling, it was not the time. She is your mother, but you don't have to say it out loud. Not yet. You won't be able to handle it if she tells you that you're wrong. This vague care that she gives you as your guardian...it was enough. Sure.