Empathy

Ch.5

No one said a word. Silence filled the empty ballroom as you now faced a prince instead of a dragon. A majority of the smoke had gone yet it still hung in the air. You didn't bother to move, cough, or say another word. Youngjo seemed to be in the same boat as he inspected the prince from your forearm. The man still looked the way he did two hundred years ago. He hadn't aged a bit since then. It left you confused if you were being honest. What made him turn human? Did anyone else know he was cursed to be a dragon?

There were millions of questions forming inside your mind. You figured that was mutual. It's been so long since anyone has been at the palace and he's had to deal with you just recently. Now he was human after witnessing you perform magic. The prince was on edge and you could completely understand why. You were doing your best to look friendly, yet it was hard to pull that off with a large raven sitting on your arm and the fact that you had attacked him earlier. Out of self-defense, but still. He didn't look willing to be friends.

The prince kept his sharp eyes narrowed on you. He remained alert of you while also glancing around at the palace. A lot has changed in the years that he's been a dragon. Does he even remember being a dragon? You couldn't read a thing on his face. His expressions were minimal the entire time. The prince stood taller than you in his old fashioned uniform. Slowly, he walked up to you as your body tensed up. The air around the prince felt different. The paintings didn't capture his handsomeness, nor did they demonstrate his intimidating aura.

"Who are you?" He asked. His deep voice was firm when questioning your presence at his home. "Are you a witch?"

"I'm...(F/n) Caeton. I live in the village nearby and I am not a witch. I like to call myself a sorceress!" You explained with a bright smile. "I think there's a difference. You see—"

"I don't care to hear the difference." He cut you off. He was about to step closer to you until Youngjo raised his wings and open his beak. Immediately, the prince decided to take a step back. Your little protector wouldn't let some random man lay his hands on you. The prince looked back at you, eyeing you from top to bottom. You weren't anything special. Just another village girl who was smiling at him. Except the bird was new. "...you said it was my birthday?"

"Yes! It's the 200th anniversary of the curse. Also, your birthday so you're technically two hundred twenty two. How exciting!" You were doing your best to be cheerful. Was that not the right thing to be? It was his birthday so you were trying your best. It just didn't help when Youngjo laughed, startling the prince more. He was in shock as is.

"It's been...two hundred years?" The prince stumbled back. His legs gave out on him, stunning you to see him drop onto the floor. Quickly, you went down to help him sit up, causing Youngjo to fly off you. You only acted on instinct, but Youngjo was moody with your choice to help the handsome stranger. The prince looked at you with wide eyes as you nodded. "You're not trying to deceive me?"

"No. Your castle has gone to ruins in all these years," You stated. Looking the prince over, you bit your lip before continuing. "May I call you by your name?"

"By my name?" The man looked at you like you were crazy. "You're a peasant!"

"The monarchy is dead," You remarked. He was quiet now, not knowing how your heart was pounding inside of you. You were doing your best to act like you had everything under control. In reality, you were panicking with the new situation that has arisen. "Look, there is a council set up by people in the village. Ever since the curse, we live with creatures on this island and we are unable to escape. Then every couple months we have blood moons where the creatures become more unstable. The blood moon is actually tonight on the anniversary."