Act Brave

Ch.3

Today was the day you were going to the castle. Definitely. It's not like you've been stalling on that decision this entire morning. Except you totally were! The sun was already high in the sky which meant you needed to seriously get going if you wanted to come back before it got dark. Today was the best day to do it because it'll only get busier the next couple days. You had no doubt that Miss Arla would try to visit you at least once. With the two hundredth anniversary approaching in three days, you had a strong feeling she wouldn't let you leave that day.

There's supposed to be a blood moon that night. People just lock themselves in their home when the blood moon appears. The creatures tend to grow stronger and more wicked. That was the color of the moon when your parents were attacked. It was better for you to stay home then too. Miss Arla has already given you the long speech on that and Youngjo made sure to give you his own thoughts on the matter. He was set on not letting you die because according to him, you couldn't leave him alone. Didn't he have other bird friends?

"Obviously. I'm quite popular with the ravens of my community." Youngjo had a smug tone. He was staring at himself in the mirror in your home. He had his chest puffed out as he admired his appearance. "But that doesn't mean I gave you permission to leave me."

"Well, you won't have to worry about me pushing any daises soon." You chuckled at the raven. He tilted his head at you, noticing you were holding the jewel of the necklace in a fist. "I'm protected by an angel."

"The shiny man."

"Yeah, him." You let out a breath. "I guess I'll be testing it out to see if he was right about finding me when I find myself in trouble."

"So soon? We barely got your horse back." Youngjo was right about that.

Luckily, Malakai had made it back to a farm out here in the village. They automatically recognized that it was your horse. Yours was the only horse here that had a solid black coat. Others had a white spot on their head and white near their hooves. They brought Malakai over and you were grateful although you did have to deal with an awkward conversation. Why would Malakai run away? Their suspicion was clear as day, but you managed to get yourself out of it without telling the truth. That was for you to know and you only.

Youngjo's presence also managed to creep them out which wasn't ideal. He took a spot to sit on your roof, mimicking the growl of the wolves. You already look suspicious enough! He was stressing you out for no reason! But they luckily left and you got your horse back, so it wasn't a complete mess. Youngjo just decided to act like a guard dog for no reason. His reasoning being that he didn't trust that man. Well, that man certainly doesn't trust you anymore either. Perfect.

"I can't stay stuck in bed all day. I've done that far too many times." You sighed heavily. Even though your stomach was twisting in knots, you needed to keep pushing. Act brave. Or be brave? Whatever, you'll figure it out.

"Then you're not going alone. I'm coming too." Youngjo flew away from the mirror to land on your shoulder. He has to stick to you like glue, doesn't he? You smiled to yourself as you went around your room shoving everything you needed into your bag. The protection potion was made and you made sure to drink it. Once you do, you really have to go through with going to the castle or else it would just be wasted. It tasted horrible like most spells, but it would do the trick. You even gave Youngjo some since you weren't about to risk anything just because he could fly. "Ew."

"Now you're picky? You literally ate a dead rat once." You put your bag over on your other shoulder as Youngjo laughed. It sounded robotic when he did it out loud. Who did he even copy that from?