Chapter 48 - Arsenal

"So how does this thing even work?"

Goh was currently being hooked up to the same device that was used on Lucario six years ago as a way to measure and analyze his Aura levels. This time, however, it was being used on a human to try and force a connection between Goh and Mewtwo.

"Well, I'm having Clemont quickly make some adjustments to accommodate for the fact that you're a human," Professor Sycamore explained as Clemont was inputting a few numbers onto the small display that stuck out of the machine. "And then we're gonna place a few electrical pads onto your brain so that we can start the connection via the traces of psychic energy that may be left in your body."

"Hopefully," Clemont added with a mumble as he focused on his calculations. Professor Sycamore momentarily glanced at Clemont with a stern look. "It will work," he corrected the occupied inventor. "Or else we'll have more problems than we can handle." Ash stood near the entrance to the room alongside Pikachu, his arms crossed and back up against the wall.

The argument with Goh was still fresh on his mind, even though they had all managed to resolve it. I did go through a lot in those final months before I left, that's nothing new, he told himself as he absentmindedly watched the smarter individuals in the room work. But that was always my excuse for doing what I did. Is that even fair?

The others had told Ash that it wasn't fair to simply write off his six-year isolation as a way of coping, especially since he wasn't the only one who had lost something in the Cell War. There were dozens of people who were left without a home in Ninja Village due to Giovanni's destructive aggressiveness, so his excuse was simply not allowed.

But, even still, he interjected himself. It feels like I lost a lot more than other people. Ash felt horrible at the notion of making it a competition, but he couldn't help but consider it. He had lost two of his closest Pokemon partners, witnessed the death of Azelf's spirit while in a month-long coma, and was battling an internal struggle regarding his emotions.

In contrast, it felt like his friends had gotten away with extremely minor problems. Goh had a bum leg for a few months, Clemont's Aipom Arm was crushed, and it seemed that Chloe had only sustained smaller injuries. The only person he truly felt a pang of immense guilt for leaving was Serena, as he had just been made aware of how his leaving had affected her.

Well, it wasn't just her, he reminded himself, looking at the people around the room. Even though his friends had been mostly unaffected by the direct effects of the Cell War, he knew deep in his heart that they had been deeply ruined by one thing; him not being there was the thing they had lost in the Cell War.

A brief chime echoed throughout the building, catching Pikachu's attention on Ash's shoulder. "That's the doorbell," Professor Sycamore said with a hushed voice. Ash raised an eyebrow and nodded at the professor, who acknowledged the unspoken request to answer the grand front doors.

As Ash exited the room and made his way down the hallway towards the main lobby, he let out a sigh. "Maybe I shouldn't overthink all of this," he said to Pikachu, who tilted his head in confusion. "You know, all of my problems with my friends," he explained, scratching his head. "Maybe I just need to run away again," he added jokingly.

"Pika!" Pikachu said in a scolding voice, lightly slapping Ash's cheek. "It was a joke, buddy!" Ash exclaimed, slightly chuckling before a frown covered his face. "At least, I think it was..." Pikachu crossed his arms as they entered the lobby area, which had the familiar red carpet and tall, massive bookshelves.

Walking over to the front entrance, he reached forward and grabbed onto the handle, pulling it back. Immediately after doing so, he felt the force of a large Pokemon crash right into him, sending him flying back and crashing into the wall. Luckily, his small backpack managed to subdue the blow slightly, but the initial impact had already been applied. "Gogoat, that's no way to greet an old friend, now is it?"