Chapter 19 - Sonder

{—} 30 minutes before Ash and Serena meet {—}

"You're going to help us look for Goh?" Ash asked.

Chloe nodded her head and stared at Ash. "I wanted to stay and work on my performance, but I care about Goh, no matter how mad I am at him," she explained. "Also, why didn't you tell me you were back when you got here!" She yelled angrily, playfully punching him in the arm.

Rubbing his arm, Ash sheepishly said, "I didn't want to tell people I was back because I was worried about getting too much attention." Chloe began petting Pikachu's head. "I was right, 'cause it seems that everyone and their Pokemon know who I am." Chloe nodded in an exasperated manner.

"You've got that right," she said. "I mean, not many people know that we were with you when we fought Giovanni in the Cell War, but the ones that do are so obnoxious and just want to talk about that." Ash chuckled and realized Chloe was experiencing what he hoped to never have to go through Constant attention and questions from strangers.

"Chloe, you haven't spoken to us in a while," Bonnie piped up, feeling left out. "Me and Clemont have been curious about what you've been doing! Last time we saw you, you were just starting to do Performances with Serena." Chloe looked over at Bonnie and grinned, realizing she had been too busy talking with Ash.

"You're right, I'm sorry Bonnie!" Chloe exclaimed. "How are both of you? I'm guessing you're still trying to win the Kalos League, Bonnie?" Bonnie smiled proudly and announced, "Yep! And I've got 7 badges!" Clemont stepped over to Bonnie and added, "And she's working hard to get her 8th."

"That's great," Chloe said, before realizing Clemont was also standing there. "How's your company? Still a big success?" She asked, earning a look from Ash. "Woah, a company?" He asked, awestruck. "You run your own company!? That's so cool!" He exclaimed, putting his arm around Clemont's neck.

"I guess I've never thought to mention it to you, Ash," Clemont sheepishly said. "What does your company do?" Ash asked in an intrigued and childlike manner. "Probably some awesome amazing science stuff!" Clemont scratched the back of his head and looked at Chloe and Bonnie, who gave equally odd looks.

"What's wrong? Did I say something?" Ash asked in confusion. "No, it's just..." Clemont began. "I tried making a machine that could find your location a bit after you left, but it didn't work. So instead I ended up selling it as a GPS system to find other types of missing people." Ash frowned and muttered, "Oh. No wonder it's a big hit..."

"Whatever, it was years ago," Bonnie said in annoyance. "It's not like it means anything now." Ash nodded and leaned his head back in his hands. "No big deal. I understand why you guys tried to find me," he said in understanding. Clemont smiled at Ash then turned to Chloe. "Hey speaking of apologies, what's up with you and Goh? It sounds like you got mad at him about something."

Chloe sighed and shook her head. "I told him that he was crazy for looking for Ash, but I was obviously in the wrong," she said pitifully. "It's my fault that he's missing without any way of finding him, just because I couldn't accept the fact that Ash was alive out there."

"Jeez, I can't believe he still wanted to find me after all those years," Ash whispered to himself. Chloe puffed her cheeks and added, "But it still doesn't excuse the fact that he was so willing and ready to leave my Performance after our time together! If he can't bother to watch me do the thing I'm most passionate about, then we can't be dating!"

Clemont and Bonnie both gasped and exclaimed, "You two broke up?!" Chloe turned her head away from them and said, "Not yet, but when we find him, I'm gonna give him a piece of my mind!" They were so busy indulging in Chloe's love quarrels that they had failed to notice Ash and Pikachu had fallen over from being so caught off guard about Chloe and Goh dating.