Chapter 55 - Destruction

The memory around Goh finished forming, like the last pieces of a puzzle finding their way naturally to paint a bigger picture. Looking around, he truly only saw untouched nature; it was clear that no human had ever witnessed the forest before him, which made even more sense for why Mewtwo had chosen this place to take refuge from humanity.

"Shay!"

Goh looked behind him and saw a Pokémon with flowers and greenery growing upon its back running along a path riddled with Pokémon footprints. "Shay! Shay!" The Pokemon cried happily, disappearing into the bushes as another Pokemon of its kind chased after it, not too far behind. "Min!" The second one exclaimed, leaping into the same bush in playful pursuit of the other one.

Goh raised an eyebrow, instinctively reaching for his Rotom Phone to try to find out what Pokemon he had just seen. Of course, once he felt his empty pocket, the realization that this reality had already happened and was simply a projection hit him, causing him to shake his head.

I can't be getting distracted by anything, Goh thought to himself, placing his hands over his face and wiping it. I've got to find a way to destroy this memory. Whether that will get Mewtwo's attention or start the destruction of this shared consciousness is the real question. He placed his hands in his jacket's pockets and began following the path of footprints, hoping it would lead him somewhere.

As Goh followed the trail, he took note of a few things. As he encountered different Pokemon, he noticed they couldn't actually see him, or at least, they didn't care enough to form a reaction. This small consistency led his mind to wonder about the logistics of the place he was in. I guess it's like some sort of place where our minds are made up together. And since Mewtwo's a Psychic-type Pokemon, he's letting us be able to see what our minds are making up.

Goh continued walking in hope of finding something that could help him. The footprints began getting more and more frequent, giving him a suspicion that he was following a path that led to somewhere important. Along the ground, he could start to recognize the prints of each Pokemon with how recent they were.

This one looks like a Munchlax's! He thought to himself, gazing upon a small circular-shaped print. And this one's a Taillow's! He added, staring at a very odd-shaped line that split into three ends.

Goh continued doing this, finding himself distracted by trying to identify which Pokemon had taken the path. Eventually, however, he stumbled across a large paw-like print that seemed the most prominent. He raised an eyebrow and quickly realized the print belonged to the Pokemon whose memory he was currently invading.

Mewtwo must be close then! He told himself, snapping his mind back to the goal at hand and running further along the path. After a few seconds of sprinting as fast as he could, a faint light entered his vision through the branches. The light of a lit campfire.

Goh got on his knees and moved aside the branches, allowing himself to get a clearer look at what was happening. Before him was a large group of Pokemon, all huddled around the fire and dancing to music being made by a few Loudred near the center. The diversity of the Pokemon was unlike anything he had seen before; it was like all the regions had collided to create a huge Pokemon party.

A smile crept onto Goh's face. It seemed like the Pokemon were having a fantastic time, even without humans. Slowly, his smile formed into a frown as Mewtwo's agenda suddenly reached the forefront of his mind. The Pokemon here are thriving without humans, he said to himself. Is Mewtwo even wrong?

His mind began recalling back to the times when he interacted with Pokemon. Not only had they eventually warmed up to him, but they had also been able to celebrate and enjoy life just like the wild Pokemon he was watching now. Mewtwo is wrong. I'm sure of it, he stated to himself. Humans don't negatively affect Pokemon. Not one bit.