Chapter 33 - Break

"Leaving so soon?"

Professor Oak frowned at the group standing at the door as he spoke his mind, receiving frowns in return. "Well, we'd like to stay longer, but I believe we should get going before it gets too dark," Clemont responded, adjusting his Aipom Arm around his shoulder. They had said goodbye to each of Ash's Pokemon just then, so the sun had begun setting.

"Hm, I suppose that's fair," the Professor responded with disappointment. He turned to Ash, who had the occupied Pokeballs of the Pokemon he had chosen to take along with him for the World Coronation Series. "Make sure you get out there and show them who's boss!" He exclaimed, giving a light punch to Ash's shoulder playfully.

"You can count on it, Professor Oak," Ash responded with a grin. He walked over to Tracey and held out his hand. "I'm excited to see how you do running this lab," he said as Tracey grabbed his hand and shook it. "And I'm excited to see you becoming the strongest trainer in the world," Tracey responded with a smirk.

Nodding, Ash faced the two of them and took a deep breath. "Thank you both for helping me out. You've both really been with me through everything to help me get my Pokemon." Professor Oak and Tracey looked at each other with a proud look on their face. "Anything to help a Pokemon Master in the making," Tracey remarked with a chuckle.

Turning around, Ash faced his group of friends. "We should get going," he said with a melancholic attitude. "We wouldn't want to postpone anyone's urges to fulfill their destiny." They nodded as Ash walked back over to them, settling the Pokeballs on his belt. "See ya!" He shouted behind him as he walked out with the group; the two lab caretakers watched as they exited the building.

"Mature," Professor Oak muttered to himself as he walked toward the kitchen area. Tracey raised an eyebrow and followed the Professor's movement with his eyes. "What was that?" He asked, unable to hear the comment. "He's become mature," Professor Oak enunciated. "The day he started, he was a late kid who overslept. Now, it seems like he's taken charge of what he wants."

Tracey chuckled to himself and walked over to the kitchen counter, where Professor Oak was pouring himself a tea. "You can say that again. When I traveled with him in the Orange Islands, it seemed like he had no idea what to do, even when he ended up beating Drake," he explained. "He definitely figured something out."

Taking a sip of tea, Professor Oak silently nodded. "I just wonder what he had to go through to get to that point," he noted worriedly. "That boy has been through a lot, so I worry for the day that it becomes too much for him." Tracey gave him a confused look. "The day it becomes too much?" He asked in confusion.

Professor Oak shook his head. "Ah, I'm just saying things," he replied nonchalantly. "I'm just slightly worried that something could overwhelm Ash to the point where he can't take it. What that breaking point would be is something I hope we never find out." Tracey tilted his head and stared at the Professor as he took another sip, unable to understand what he was referring to.

{—}

Ash and the others had walked a considerable distance from Professor Oak's Laboratory before stopping at a fork in the road. One of them led to Ash's house, while the other led to Vermilion City and the airport that resided within it.

"Well, I guess this is where we split up," Serena said, taking a deep breath. "Yep," Chloe muttered in response, staring at the dirt road. She hadn't really been out on her own yet; before she met Ash, she and Goh would mostly stay in Vermilion City, not traveling anywhere. Even after she had left Vermilion City to look more into Performing, she had been alongside friends; now, it was just her and the Pokemon she had.

Clemont turned to the group, his glasses slightly fogged up. "I want to let you guys know that I'm really glad to have been on this little adventure of ours," he said with feigned confidence. "Even if we did start it with unclear intentions, it all ended up for the best, and for that, I'm really glad."