Chapter 49 - Motives

The caves were damp, dark, and worse of all, held unknown wonders. To the ordinary trainer, this was a treacherous and overall unwelcome experience, but to Alain, this was the prime spot for searching for Mega Evolution stones, an activity he had grown to enjoy in the past six years.

After the Kalos crisis, he had discarded his personal Key Stone and Mega Stone that belonged to his Charizard, as it was gifted to him by Lysandre, a figure he did not want any more association with. So when he finally found his own Key Stone along with a Charizardite X, he was ecstatic; he was going to be able to become more powerful without a guilty conscience.

However, once he returned to Lumiose City to meet up with Professor Sycamore to share his success with him, some shocking news was revealed to him. He remembered distinctly what the Professor had said.

"Ash is gone."

While Alain had been spelunking in the vast underground caves, the entirety of the Cell War had occurred, and he had simply failed to be there for any of it. Even while Professor Sycamore had sat him down and explained everything that had occurred, he still couldn't believe it. My closest rival who I promised to battle again is gone? For good? Was the only thing he could think about as Professor Sycamore walked him through everything.

"I'm going to become stronger!" Alain had exclaimed, interrupting the professor's dissertation and standing up in his chair. Clenching his fist, he had gritted his teeth in frustration. "If my greatest battle won't happen because Ash is gone, then I'm going to become stronger on my own!" He yelled, casting his hand to the side.

"Alain, we're all sad that Ash is gone," Professor Sycamore had replied calmly, holding up his hands in worry. "Clemont, Serena, and so many other people are worried for him, but don't let it destroy you, okay?" He frowned and leaned back in his chair. "Think of Mairin. I know she's off traveling the world on her own, but that doesn't mean you just need to abandon her."

Alain's tense body relaxed ever so slightly as he lowered his hand. "It seems like she's doing well enough without me," he replied, crossing his arms. "Besides, what makes this time any different for Ash? He's traveled many regions before." Professor Sycamore shook his head and sighed. "Because, Alain, anytime Ash goes off to challenge gyms and meet new Pokemon, there's always the comfort that he'll return home like you're doing now."

"Ash is likely not ever returning home," he added with a heavy heart. "We need to accept that for right now." Alain's frown grew slightly as he sat back down in his chair. "It's just..." he muttered, placing his head in his hands. "He was a big motivator for me to get stronger, and now he's just gone."

"I know," Professor Sycamore said empathetically, nodding his head slightly. Bringing his head up, Alain suddenly donned a determined look on his face. "Maybe I need to find that motivation on my own," he stated, rubbing his chin. Professor Sycamore studied Alain for a second, coming to the conclusion that he needed a new challenge that didn't limit him.

The conversation with Ash quickly made him realize what the Lumiose Conference Winner needed; to participate in the World Coronation Series. "You know, before Ash left, he was taking part in this massive tournament where the strongest trainers in the world battled each other for the top spot." Alain's ears were suddenly wide awake; the professor had his full attention.

"Strongest trainers in the world?" Alain repeated, letting his arms rest over his chair. "How come I haven't heard about this yet?" Professor Sycamore turned in his chair and pulled up a map of the Galar region. "It's a pretty big deal in the Galar region, but I guess I haven't talked much about it with you."

"Galar?" Alain asked in a whisper, looking intently at the large map. "They've got a bunch of new Pokemon you've likely never seen and a phenomenon that makes the Pokemon there huge!" The professor explained while Alain took in the sight of the expansive regional map.