Chapter 56 - Explanation

Why'd Mewtwo stopped moving?

Ash stared in confusion as Mewtwo, who was nearly going to drop him from the extreme height they were at, froze up, eyes glazed over. Did Goh somehow manage to get through into his mind? He thought to himself, feeling a slight tinge of hope in his mind.

For a few seconds, they both stayed in the air, unmoving while the cold air blew past them. Ash saw his opportunity and began struggling, trying desperately to get out. However, Mewtwo's grasp was unfortunately extreme enough to keep Ash in place, but while he attempted this escape, he noticed that he was able to finally move his hand, meaning he could grab something very important.

My belt! He thought to himself, jutting his hand down towards his waist. He felt around and barely managed to grip onto one of his Pokeballs, unsure of whose it was. He began feeling around for the white button that would release one of the Pokemon within. I'm not sure whose Pokeball this is, Ash thought to himself. But anyone is better than no one!

"Haw!"

Ash watched as Hawlucha appeared in a white light from the Pokeball, striking a pose as he leaped onto Mewtwo's head gracefully. After finishing the outgoing entrance, Hawlucha quickly looked around, absorbing the situation. "Haw! Haw!" Hawlucha exclaimed, pointing down below to the ground far beneath them.

"Look, it's a long story!" Ash explained, struggling against Mewtwo's everlasting grasp. "Right now, I need you to help me get out of here!" Hawlucha nodded and leaned over Mewtwo's head, staring into its deeply concentrated eyes. "I think it might be distracted right now, so we need to act fast!"

As he said this, a droplet-like noise echoed around them loudly, surprising both Ash and Hawlucha. "What was that?" Ash asked, staring at Mewtwo as if he was the cause of the noise.

"Ash! Ash! Look out!"

Goh's voice appeared out of nowhere to Hawlucha, who wasn't as entranced by Mewtwo as Ash was. Looking over to his right where the voice was, he saw something quite shocking. A large portal-like window had appeared in the darkening sky, and beyond it was Goh on the ground next to a flaming forest.

"Watch out!" Goh yelled one more time. Hawlucha looked to Goh's right and saw a giant horde of wild, angry Pokemon, all heading directly into the portal. As the Pokemon began traveling through and heading towards them, Hawlucha saw a lone, standing figure behind the large group.

It was Mewtwo, prompting the Pokemon to go forward into battle.

Hawlucha's eyes widened as he turned back to Ash, who was staring at Mewtwo incredulously. "Lucha!" Hawlucha exclaimed, pointing towards the wild Pokemon as the portal behind them disappeared into nothing. Ash broke away from his trance on Mewtwo and looked where Hawlucha was pointing; his heart began racing.

His mind racing, Ash quickly gave a command. "Use Karate Chop on Mewtwo's head," he commanded quickly, trying to keep his cool amongst the approaching Pokemon closing in on them. Hawlucha's claw and arm began glowing white as he swiftly struck down Mewtwo's skull, sending a wave of power throughout Mewtwo's head.

Ash immediately felt the grasp upon him disappear. While initially he was relieved, he quickly realized that there was now nothing supporting him miles above the ground. Hawlucha watched with horror as Ash began descending rapidly, his scream fading as he disappeared into the clouds below them. Hawlucha looked over and saw that the wild Pokemon were only a few meters away, and had been charging up moves upon the flying Pokemon.

Without a second thought, he jumped straight down, tensing his body so that he could travel downward faster. As he pushed back against the clouds, a clearer vision of Lumiose City came before him. He scanned the air around him, looking and listening for any sign of Ash.