~Chapter 29

Jasmine

He was coming for me
I couldn't deny it, whether I liked it or not.

He was going to find me sooner or later and I couldn't just stay here, in this lavish penthouse waiting for my demons to catch up with me.

He could be on his way right now, coming for me.
I couldn't go back there, to that cellar. Where I died and woke up every single day. 

A shiver ran up my spine at the thought. The damp cold floors. I would remain there, starving and scared as night and day passed me by.

I couldn't even tell how long had passed, there wasn't a single ray of sunlight accompanied in the cellar, not even a hatch was there, nor a window. Only a metal door that was only opened once every three weeks and each time it was to be punished for my very existence

Would I say I deserved it?
Yes
Every painful whiplash I endured....

All of it

"Jasmine?"
A calm voice peeked through a crack in my door "can I come in?"

I sat up to see Ray's head peeking into my room, a nervous look on his face.

"Sure" I gave him a lump sided smile, gesturing to him to come inside further.

He pushed the door open, coming through in his full length.

"You never ate anything. Come on"
He held out a hand to me, a thin smile encouraging me to follow.

I gaze away "I'm not hungry Ray" I lied. I didn't have time to eat.
I had to leave, if he found me here…..

No,
He just can't find me here

Or at least I needed to find a way to leave here and never come back
I needed to clear my tracks again.

"Please Jasmine-" he softly pleaded.

The more time he had here, the more the lump in my throat kept growing.

"O-okay.
I'll be there just give me a minute" I croaked out, having absolutely no control over my tone.

My cracked voice betrayed me in every single way and Ray's features softened as he took in my shakey form.

"Where's Damon?" I ask, redirecting my gaze back to Ray

I had to resign from my job first, I wasn't ready to answer any of the questions I knew he would have.

"He went out"
The space beside me dipped as Ray sat down
"He's going to fix this Jasmine, he cares that much, he never wanted any of this to happen" he tried to console me as he grabbed a hold of my shaking hand in his, gently stroking the back of it.

"Everything will be fine" he offered me a thin smile which I tried to reciprocate.

I wish everything would be fine.
I wish none of this would have happened, but sadly I had to leave, despite the guilt weighing on my conscience.

But I knew no matter how much I wanted it to be alright, it could never be as simple as wishing it into reality.

"Shall we?"

I nodded and Ray pulled me onto my feet and lead me out my room.

I took in my surroundings for the last time as we proceeded into the elevator.

I watched Ray punch in the buttons and we began our journey down.

Pushing myself onto the island barstool, I set my hands on the marble. I watch Ray throw out some bowls and spoons in front of me.