~Chapter 20

Jasmine

"Good work getting Damon ready on time Jess" Richelle shot me an appreciative smile "No one has ever been able to pull that off, he's quite a handful"

She chuckles, and I join in knowing exactly what she means

"Well it's Jess were talking about here, she's been handling him this long.
I won't be surprised if he is already smitten by her charms" Ray winks at me and I narrow my eyes at him with a small smile on my face.

"Oh shut up" I roll my eyes at the thought. "Are you guys going for the party Jace is throwing?"

They both stiffen

"No, Damon never lets us, it's quite a shock he wants to go this time around"

"So be careful Jess, Damon and Jace aren't exactly the best of friends"
I furrow my eyebrows as they both grimace.

"Don't know why Damon wants to take you but you should be careful around Jace"
Richelle says, concern laced in her voice, a worry some look on her face.

Was it that bad?

"Why, what happened between them?
Their relationship is pretty sour" I think back to the moments where Damon would  give Jace menacing glares that could bring the strongest to their knees.

Silence

They look between each other like they were silently asking if they should tell me

"Oh come on guys" I almost whine...

"Fine, but we didn't tell you" Richelle sighs"They were actually the closest friends before, Damon trusted Jace with everything including his business, but something happened "

"Something very bad, so bad that Damon threw him out of his life completely" Ray continues "but unfortunately Jace found it all amusing and decided to stay and remain a thorn in his side" Ray shook his head pitifully

"What could have been so bad?" I ask out loud and they shake their heads at the same time

"We don't know" they answer at the same time.

I take a sip of my coffee thinking.
What could have possibly caused such a bad fall out?
Should I ask Damon?
No!

It's too personal
I shake the thought away immediately, refusing to let it remain in my mind.

I had better things to do.

I excuse myself from my friends and walk away, back to my office.

Huh, friends
Never thought I'd ever hear myself say those words. A small smile takes over my lips as I walk over to the elevator.

I slump down on my seat, setting my coffee down on the table beside my laptop.

I open my bank details once more, still dumbfounded on the amount of money that was there.
I made a mental note to ask Damon how he knew about my secret savings.

There is no way I could use such a big amount of money, this was stealing.

If Damon thinks I would accept such a big amount of money then he's dead wrong.
I'm no gold digger

I storm out of my office, carrying my laptop with me. My annoyance getting to me.

I quietly push open Damon's office door, careful not to make too much noise just incase he was having a meeting with someone.
My eyes fall on a familiar figure standing in front of Damon's table, backing me.

Damon stops what he was looking through as our eyes meet.
I get lost in the green depths of his eyes for a second before I look away, my cheeks a red tint from realising how much I had been staring.

The person who was backing me stops and turns as well.
I direct my gaze to his face, the round glasses I could never miss.

A warm smile covers his features as I walk further into the office.

"Sorry for the interruption" I apologise meekly, a little ashamed I didn't announce my arrival before hand, I certainly won't be able to speak to Damon about this with this oddly familiar guy here.

I squint my eyes at him, trying to remember where I had seen him before.
The chestnut brown curls that fell down his forehead, the round glasses were all familiar.

"It's fine tes- Jasmine"

I cringe at the sound of Damon calling me by my full name.
I had oddly gotten so used to the "tesoro" he always called me, whatever the hell that meant.

"So you stuck around after all"

Then it clicked

"Sebastian?" I ask, a small smile curving at my lips at the memory of my first day here, the first day we met.

"Am I missing something here?"
Damon's husky voice draws our attention back to him.
He cocks his head to the side, studying our exchange.

"Sorry sir,
I'll get on it"

Sebastian takes a curt nod before walking past me out of the office, not before giving me a small reassuring smile, which I felt meant "see ya around"

"What's wrong tesoro?"
The name brings back all the normality, at least what i reffered to as a normality.

"I think there has been some kind of mistake" I start, earning a raised brow from Damon.
I feel my heart skip a beat at his facial expression.

I shake it off and walk beside his table, setting my laptop down in front of him.
He adjusts it and just stares at the screen

"What am I supposed to be looking at?"
He deadpans "You're account balance?"

"Yes, the amount there is too outrageous, I haven't worked here long enough to earn such a large amount Damon"

I could see something flicker in his eyes and only at that moment did I realise I had called him by his first name. But fuck it. I didn't care right now

"So you're saying... " he drawls nonchalantly.

"I'm saying you need to take it back or something.
I'll send the amount back to you, I can't accept this" I sigh frustratedly

I watch his face become stoic
"It's not my money Jess,
It's yours, you worked for it. I'm not accepting it back"

My face deflates
"What, why!"

"You've been working hard Jess, it's just you're reward and I'm not taking it back, end of discussion" he says, waving his hand in my face dismissively slightly pushing my laptop away and facing the opposite direction.

"B-but"
I angrily pout, glaring holes into the side of his head.

"Don't be a baby tesoro
Now go get ready for the party.
I'm picking you up by 8pm.
Don't keep me waiting"
He speaks with finality not making eye contact with me.

I scoff and snatch my laptop back.

"I'm definitely not using any of his money.
I'll find a way to send it back"
I reassure myself as I walk out of his office, feeling a set of lingering eyes on me.