Chapter 1: The Motive

It was on of those Friday nights that Maddy visited the motel to meet Nate while he was expelled from school. They had just finished fighting over something she overheard someone saying, that she deserved someone who was not manipulative. "Someone who really cares."

Exhausted from fighting him, Maddy sat down on the floor with her knees to her chest. Her hands were wrapped around her legs, head resting on the knees. Nate, done struggling with holding up his defenses, sat down wrapping his legs around her. He nuzzled his nose against her back and left soft kisses, all he wanted was to have her but she wasn't having any of it.

Especially not when he, from behind her, chuckled and said, "The best part of all this is that you act like you're the most innocent and like, non-toxic person ever."

"What is that supposed to mean?" she asked with blurry eyes.

His brain had short-circuited from trying to defend himself from heaps of nothing real such that he didn't realize the mistake of what he said until he said it. He raised his face and placed it on her shoulder and tried to justify himself. "Like, you know you can't keep a good guy around you for long enough even if you tried. He would see right through you and your bitchy self."

"What the fuck did you just say?" In disbelief she moved away from him to see his face. "Aren't you trying to make up with me? Why the fuck would you say something like that?!"

"I-It's just a fact. Guy or girl, you wouldn't have a long relationship with them because.... that's just who you are. I don't mean it as a bad thing, I still love you," he said shrugging.

"Just because you say that something's not bad, doesn't mean it isn't bad anymore. A-and you're saying that I'm ..naturally bad? That I'm evil? Wh-You know what, I'm done with your shit." She got up and took her bag, "I'm leaving."

He got up to stop her but she slammed the door by then and his ego refused to run after her. He spent the night alone, drinking and sexting a stranger.

She walked back home crying her eyes out and went to sleep with tears from thinking that she was an irredeemable, unlovable human but woke up on Sunday determined more than ever that she would show Nate exactly how caring and good she could be, that she deserved to be loved by a good person and that she was worthy of loving them back.

She wore her Sunday clothes to attract prospects on Monday and told Cassie and BB about her plan to get revenge and prove Nate wrong, to date a good guy.