8; Trust Me.

"UHM...WELL..."

"Aishatu? As your assistant? Nonsense!"

Aslam ignored the grumpy old man that seemed to have no ounce of happiness in his life, his gaze still solely fixated on the woman standing in front of him. He didn't miss the way her expression hardened due to the man's words. It was easy-especially since he was still observing her features-to see how her face morphed from that taken aback expression to that of annoyance.

She flickered her gaze to the Professor that said that, an emotionless look masking her features. She gets along with her colleagues well. Those old men though are a different issue though. They barely get along with anyone since they prefer everything to be done their way.

They have nothing against her personally, considering everyone knows she's good at what she does. If one dare says, she'll be regarded as one of the best residents they have-perhaps, even better than the fourth year residents considering she's only a second year resident.

Under any other circumstance, they would've recommended her. But they have their eyes on Chris, considering he helped Aslam with the tests. Shouldn't he be his assistant for the surgery too. Besides, their egos won't allow them to go along with him having her as an assistant, since he has shown his interest.

For once, they would want things to go their way regarding the man.

"Chris is a fourth year resident. Won't it be better for him to be your assistant" Another one tried to reason, since it seems demanding won't do a thing when it comes to the man.

"Exactly, she's just a second year resident. There's no way she can handle a case this big"

"Tell him, Aisha. Tell him that you can't do it. Don't lie to the man"

She blinked, swallowing thickly as she blew out a discrete breath. She then flickered her gaze from the Professors that obviously are so much against her doing this, to the man that still awaits her answers. Her lips curled into a smile, "Of course" Her smile widened slightly into a small smirk. "It will be an honor to be your partner, Doctor"

At that very instant, she could feel five pair of eyes digging holes into her head due to the intensity of their glares. Did she care though? Not at all.

She had always stayed away from anything that will get her on bad terms with them, mostly considering she has always been the quiet one that keeps to herself. That to say doesn't mean she's not fed up with them. She is. That's why she was happy when she saw there's finally someone their match.

Aslam found himself smiling back, though none of them could see it. "Okay then" He offered her a curt nod, then turned around to face his father. "I'll just brief her up on everything. I'll come back to check on you later"

His father who had choose to be quiet throughout the whole exchange, stared at the man with a questioning look that only Aslam happened to get it. He had never seen his son care about who he works with like that. He has always been the type that works well with whoever he is paired up. However, there he is picking someone out for the first time.

Aslam fought the urge to chuckle due to the look his father is flashing him. He somehow managed to reign it in since they have audience.

The old man relented after a while, offering his son a nod. "Alright then" He then turned to the Professors that were still throwing daggers at the two, "I'd like some quiet time please. Thank you for the welcome, I appreciate it"

Just like that, their fake facades returned. "Of course, General!"

"We hope you recover soon"

"Allah kawo lafiya"