Chapter Fourty

The city is half asleep.

It's easy to tell. All the windows of the buildings remain dark on the other side, idle, blinds down, some doors bolted. And the street holds no cars. No cars or their headlights, no streetlamps, no birds.

The air is frigid and there's a slight wind, whispering to the buildings and storefronts, trying to get into the closed windows. Maybe the wind wants someone to talk to.

And maybe that dull, silent morning sky up above is still sad. Maybe it still has crying to do. It does. I know because the rain is returning in small drops. Almost like mist.

Gerard and I walk along the sullen streets, our shoes dragging and scuffing on cracks and dents in the pavement. It's very early in the morning. Somewhere around six, I think. Yes, six. I don't have a watch, obviously, but I don't think I need or want one, anymore. Not when I have this feeling in the air, and the sky. The sky is my only sense of time now.

Anyway. We're out here so early because of the amount of food left in Gerard's cupboards. You want to know how much we've got left?

Zero. Nothing. Not a thing left.

Not that it bothers me that much, as you're aware. I didn't have much of a choice, though, when Gerard suddenly burst into my room, at like, four this morning. He basically walked over to the bed and gave me this exhausted look before he spoke. I remember staring at him for a long time before he actually said anything. And all that came out of his mouth was, "We're out of food. We've got to go. Now." And then I stared at him for another five minutes before blinking tiredly and mumbling some form of agreement.

So, yeah. That's how we got out here.

I'm not even awake right now. I'm half asleep like the city. Really. I'm having a difficult time keeping my eyes from falling shut. Ugh, but, could you blame me? I haven't had real sleep in a while, and now that I've got an actual bed to sleep in again, it makes me want to sleep even more. You know?

Point is, I'm exhausted and I just want to go back to sleep.

Gerard's walking right beside me, matching my pace, almost exactly. This makes me stop and stare at him, because it's actually pretty unusual. He's normally walking out in front of me, using his trademarked eager gait, eyes always darting around. Taking in everything.

I mean, he's still doing that. Looking at everything with wide eyes. Of course. Don't think there's ever really a time when he isn't so focused on things I barely notice. But, it's just the way he's walking. Slow pace. Dragging feet. A bit of an exhaustion in his posture.

Hm.

I guess I didn't quite realize it before, but now I see it.

You know what I'm thinking?

Gerard's tired.

And I think he notices me staring at him, because he slows down and raises an eyebrow at me, a smile at the edge of his lips.