Chapter Twenty Two

" I have an idea. Just do what I say."

Of course. This is how it always happens, isn't it? We always somehow manage ourselves into a dangerous predicament, and either me or Gerard think of an idea on how to get out of it. And we usually always do. And it will probably go the same way this time. I hope it does, anyway.

" Lynx, you got it?" Gerard's voice appears from the darkness again. I'm not really sure where I was the last couple of minutes, but I feel dull.

" Yeah." I answer, ears listening on the other side of the door. It must be some form of the morning, because people are talking.

" You don't."

" What?"

" You weren't listening that whole time." Gerard sighs from somewhere. I can't see him now that he flicked his lighter off.

Someone's voice is louder than the rest, and I know for sure that they're probably going to open the door. I swallow. "Tell me again."

" Okay- you better listen this time," Gerard's voice is suddenly right next to my ear. It startles me, but I try not to make it seem like it did. "There's no way we're sneaking out of here, right?"

" Right."

" So we-"

" We wait?" I ask hopefully, already knowing where this plan is headed.

" No," If I could see him, Gerard would probably be frowning. "We run through them all."

" That is not a good..." I stop when I realize there's no other way. The plan is really messy, I mean- we're just plowing through the people hoping that we'll scrape by, which is a very unlikely chance, not to mention we're on a train- but I'd rather be recognized while I'm running away than hiding like a coward in a closet. "Alright. Just say go."

Gerard squeezes my hand tightly from somewhere in the dark, waits for three seconds, then yells. "Go!"

At the exact same time, we push the door open aggressively, knocking back a man and a woman who were standing near the closet. They look at Gerard and I with shock and confusion set upon their faces, and they're not the only ones. There's tons of people spilling out from both seating areas.

Our plan is short-lived, because there's nowhere for us to run. For some reason, everyone's getting up from their seats, and heading toward-

" Lynx!" Gerard shouts, grabbing my attention. "The doors are open!"

I look to my left and see that the train doors are open, and they were previously letting passengers out. But now the passengers are distracted from their departure, because we just happened to burst out of a coat closet. "You're right-"

My statement is cut off when Gerard tugs me towards the open door, the murmurs of voices growing in volume behind us. I'm sure they know who we are, or are contemplating it. Either way, they can tell we're not like them. It actually gives me a brief sense of satisfaction. But it can't last long, because once I'm outside in a different town neither of us have been to, a sudden feeling of being lost and alone replaces the satisfaction.