Chapter Seventeen

If Gerard thinks I'm fighting my way through these people, he's got another thing coming to him.

"I'm going another way!" I shout, which is probably a bad idea, since the police are close enough to hear.

"That's not a good idea." Gerard doesn't look up. He just keeps his arm out in front of me, backing up. The IT are closing in.

I lower my voice this time. "Gerard, I can't fight them."

He pulls a face but doesn't say anything. He doesn't need to. I can tell that his face is asking "why not?"

"Because, not all of us here know how to knock a guy out." I whisper. We've backed up so much now, that we're pretty much back in the park we started from. And, during this time, I've been able to think of a plan. It's not very good, but I definitely can't fight through. I'd be on the ground in three seconds. This plan is the only way.

Gerard closes his eyes and sighs. "Fine. But there's no other way-"

"I have a plan," I say, lowering my voice even more. "I'm gonna run and distract them. Then you'll have time to get away."

Gerard lowers his arm and looks sharply at me. "What? Lynx, that's crazy."

It sounds like the officers are shouting something at us, but we're not listening to them. "I'll run back the way we came. Find a sewer hatch and meet me down there."

"The sewer? The sewer is pretty much the whole city, how are we gonna..." Gerard stops himself when he sees the look I give him.

"Trust me, okay? I have a much better chance at getting away while running than fighting," We've backed up all the way to the grass of the park. "Please just trust me."

Gerard hesitates and looks at the approaching police officers. If we take anymore time, they'll be completely around us and we won't have a chance to escape. "Okay. I trust you."

"Alright, I'm going."

Gerard squeezes my hand tightly, locking his eyes with mine. "Be careful."

I nod, not wanting to leave Gerard now that he did that. But I can't change my mind. "I will."

I dart for the openness of the park. I'm honestly kinda nervous for this plan now. Will enough of them follow me? I hope so. I mean, obviously not all of them will follow. But Gerard can handle a few of them, right? Besides, it's not like this is anything new. I know this job better than anyone. I just need to run. Run until they lose track of me somewhere. I don't have the strength to run forever, but at least I know how to hide.

There's nothing but open field in front of me. I'm not sure where I can run. But at least there are trees. I'd hate to get stuck in the open like this. I don't look back. I don't want to know how many are after me. I'm already nervous enough as it is. I don't want to think about what could happen if this mess of a plan fails. Gerard will make it. I will make it.

I can feel my lungs starting to give out a little. I swallow the feeling away and keep running, eyes searching for anywhere to lose the police in. There's a cluster of trees all lined up in the distance, but I'll have to run fast to get there. I don't know if I'll be able to do it. I can only run so fast. It's not fun being physically weak.

Okay. I can do this.

I run faster. The unnerving sound of footsteps is still loud behind me, and I'm surprised no one has tried to shoot me or something. It would be smarter for them to do that, but, this works for me. Maybe they don't want to kill us right away. Maybe they like to study us, or something stupid like that. Or maybe they like to give "people like me" a painful death. I don't know. I don't want to find out. Some questions should not be answered.