Chapter Twenty Six

I awake to the sound of heavy breathing and springs squeaking, weight shifting on the mattress. I can't open my eyes, not yet, not right now. I still feel cold. I feel like if I opened my eyes, I would become colder. I'm not sure if this makes much sense at all.

I've been in the same position, the whole night. But I did get a good sleep- the best in a long time, actually- and it feels good. Maybe it's the fact I finally got to sleep on a halfway-decent bed, or maybe it's because I was with Gerard. I don't know.

A voice sighs, and a weight is lifted completely from beside me. I think Gerard just got off the bed. I swallow, my throat a little dry. I fill my lungs with a deep breath and open my eyes, not expecting sunlight to attack me. Of course it wouldn't. There isn't a window in the room. Just that picture of a flower. And the flower isn't even colourful.

I open my eyes to see Gerard, leaning against the wall. It looks like he was staring at me, but once he sees me awake, his eyes immediately flick away.

"Morning." I say, sitting up. I rub my eyes.

Gerard cracks a small smirk, but nothing else. "Morning."

"Did you just wake up?" I already know the answer to the question, but I can't think of anything else to say. It's the morning. I'm tired. What else should you expect from me?

"Yeah." He yawns.

Now there's absolutely nothing for me to say in response. So I just nod, and slowly slip off the bed. I walk right past Gerard, into the hallway. The air is really frigid- I can feel the goosebumps crawling up my arms. Darn it. I forgot to grab my jacket on the way out of the bedroom.

I walk into the living room, and sit right in the empty space. I half-expect the T.V to be on. I don't know, I'm so used to that.

Gerard appears out of the hallway, and stops short when he sees me sitting on the floor. He raises an eyebrow.

"What?" I ask, staring at him.

"You're just sitting there?"

"Pretty much."

Gerard nods slowly and sends his gaze sideways, towards the kitchen. "Hungry?"

"Is there even any food in there?" I tilt my head. I'm trying to recall whether we checked or not.

"Dunno," Gerard shrugs, voice disappearing into the kitchen. "I think there's something..."

I sigh as I wait, staring at the blank television in front of me. Maybe I could find the remote somewhere. It's still plugged in, after all. It just might work. I cross my arms to keep warm, scanning the room.

Soft footsteps emerge from the kitchen, and Gerard's voice is heard. "I found cereal!"