Chapter Two

I'm grabbing dozens of chocolate bars. I stuff them into my dark backpack and sling it over my shoulder, leaping the counter and heading for the juice. I grab several juice boxes, not even caring to check for expiration dates or something. I'm pretty careless that way. I know I should always be more careful, but, somehow that doesn't register in my brain. Like, I could step on a piece of glass and blame it on everything else except myself. Which would be very stupid, because that would totally, entirely be my fault. Anyway. I don't bother grabbing anything else, either, knowing that if I ever get too hungry, I'll just snack on one of the chocolate bars. Eating isn't really... my thing, if you will.

And just as I'm about to leave, there's a peculiar smell. A smell. Really? How is a smell catching my attention? This city is full of smells. Smells shouldn't be an issue right now. They- god, what is that? I stop in my tracks, squinting one of my eyes. I blink, thinking I smell a sort of... burning. Yeah, it smells like something's burning. Like smoke. I'm sure it is.

"What in the heavens?" I mutter.

I sniff the air again, only to realize the burning is coming from somewhere in the store. Close by. What the heck? It's only a matter of suspense filled seconds, and then a large, dark sort of mist catches my eye, and I only have to look, barely even have to get a good look to realize the cloud of smoke billowing out from a door that says "PERSONNEL ONLY." My eyes widen. Oh, no. No, there- there's no mistaking what's happening on the other side of that door.

"Fire!" I shriek it by accident.

And I can't even blink or breathe when the door bursts open, a storm of smoke exploding out into my face, causing me to cough instantly. I drop to my knees, the smoke making my eyes water. I shut them and cover my mouth, trying not to breathe in the smoke. Oh, man, oh god. It-It's a kind of pitch dark black, possibly even darker than my clothes, and it devours the whole store, also devouring me. I try desperately to crawl, to get out of the store before I choke to death- but I can't. I can't even see the stupid door! The smoke is everywhere and it feels like nothing else even exists anymore. Like the smoke just... just ate it all up. And soon I'll be like everything else, too. Non existing.

It's too overpowering. I can't. I feel the heat of the fire getting closer to me. I want to move, but I think the floor has disappeared, too. My lungs struggle. I cough once again, violently, nearly even throwing up in the process- and it hurts. So much. Against the pain, I'm trying to move myself along, my eyes still burning. But, I can't. Can't manage to move. I'm too disabled by the oncoming smoke and fire. I'm going to be burned like a neglected piece of bread in a toaster.

Wow, I can't even believe myself, because now, now! Now, at a time like this, I'm freaking thinking about toast? What's wrong with me, seriously? I'm going to die and toasted bread is the only thing on my mind!

Out of all the confusion and the dumb arguing going on in my head, I hear footsteps. I swear that's what it is. Unless I'm hallucinating. Can smoke do that? Maybe. But, I'm sure- I know what I'm hearing. My heart leaps. Wait. No. No, no, no. What if it's an IT? What if they've found me? What if they've set this up, to get me at my weakest, and then capture me and send me to my almost certain death?

I start coughing again, my lungs feeling like a desert on fire, cracked and dry and practically gone. I can hardly breathe, or see, or move. This is it. I'm surely going to die here. This is death. This is what death is. Police, come take me now, while I'm weak.

Well, I- I've always been kinda weak, sort of, and I- Wait, what am I doing? Why can't I get out of here? Am I really going to die? Is that what's happening? I can't believe this, how come I'm not... I don't know... doing this better!? Oh, yeah, right, because I'm a weak, brittle failure that thinks about toast when they're dying instead of absolutely everything else.