Chapter Nine

I wake up the next morning pretty early.

I'm pretty anxious and nervous. Where were we going this time? By the time I hear the sounds of Gerard's footsteps, I'm already rushing up to the door.

"Gerard? Where are we going?" I ask, pounding on the door to get his attention.

The door unlocks and swings open. I'm greeted by a tired-looking Gerard standing there. "Well, you're patient."

"I'm sorry, but, don't you think it's a little too dangerous to go outside after what happened yesterday?"

"Do you want to stay in those gross clothes?" Gerard asks, looking me up and down.

"Wait, what?" I tilt my head to the side.

Gerard yawns. "C'mon, think about it."

"I thought you said you weren't going to do nice things for me," I raise an eyebrow. "Wouldn't getting me new clothes go against that?"

He shifts his gaze. "Well, uh, I dunno."

I just stand there, arms crossed, raising my eyebrows at him.

"Let's just... go." He grabs my arm and mumbles to himself. Not sure what he says.

"Wait, one problem," I stop him. "We're gonna get recognized."

Gerard sighs. "Yeah, well, I never said we were gonna be legal about this."

"So, basically we're gonna steal."

He nods. "Pretty much."

I start to follow him down the stairs. "You know, you don't have to do this for me. I'm fine."

Gerard pauses to look at me. "You sure?"

"Yup." I nod.

"Well, we need more food, so we're still going out." Gerard starts walking again, and when he gets to the bottom of the stairs, he slowly opens the front door.

"Like you were feeding me, anyway." I mutter, hoping he doesn't hear me.

Unfortunately, he does hear me. "After this, I'll actually be able to feed you."

I roll my eyes. "Whatever."

"You almost say 'whatever' as much as you ask stupid questions." Gerard remarks, not looking over his shoulder as he walks.

"Well you almost complain about my question asking as much as you don't feed me, so." I smirk, more to myself, than him.

"You wanna keep it up?" He snaps.

"Gladly." I get no response after that. Looks like I win, this time.

Luckily, the streets are pretty empty. It's a good thing Gerard decided to wake up early to do this, or else we probably would've been caught by now. Though I can tell, we don't have much time.

"...I never got to ask you why you were in that alley yesterday." I mention, following him down the empty sidewalks.

"Oh, uh, nothing." He starts to walk faster.

"C'mon, enough of this question avoiding. Just be-"

"Here's the place," Gerard completely ignores me and examines a locked grocery store's door. "I wonder if there's another way to get in..."