Chapter Twenty Four

I can't sleep again. I've been spending most hours in the brisk dark of the store, staring into space, and I can't sleep. Even though there's no sound at all outside, not even a siren- I'm so distracted. It seems the only thing that reaches my ears is the sound of Gerard's breathing, though I can't even listen to that for a while. It's labored and shaky and it makes me feel really sad. I'm not sure how else the police hurt him, but I know it was more than his hand. Maybe I'll ask him when he wakes up.

We're behind the cashier's counter still. We had gathered a various amount of clothing and used them for lopsided beds and blankets. And now I'm sitting up, back against the wall. Gerard's laying right on his side, face towards me. My god, how innocent he looks when he's sleeping- despite the dirt and blood on his face. He never looks like himself when he sleeps.

I sigh at myself. I have to sleep. This has been going on for too long... the deprivation is killing me.

Just sleep.

***

The sun is peering through the glass of the store windows. I've been lying on my side, on this uncomfortable bed forever... the whole night. Sure, I've faded back and forth through sleep, but it's been all downhill from here.

I'm lying facing away from Gerard. I've been staring at a piece of broken glass for a while. Light reflects off of it and shines in my eye. I grimace. My back and neck are really stiff. So much for our lopsided beds. The clothes did no help to comfort me.

Gerard's back is just barely against mine. I can feel the gentle movement of his breathing, and it still sounds as shaky and restless as ever. I sigh, and force myself to get up. It's very quiet in the store- but it's nice. For once I actually don't feel rushed and scared. The feeling may not last long... but at least it's here right now.

I cross my legs and stare at my nail. My stomach churns unbearably, and I clench my eyes closed. I shouldn't be hungry. I haven't eaten in days, but still, I trained myself not to be hungry. Ever. This makes me nervous.

I jump when someone pokes my shoulder. I whirl myself around, seeing who I obviously expected. Gerard smiles tiredly at me, hair falling loosely in his bright eyes. The sun shines over him, making him look brighter than usual. He's adorable.

Wait... what am I saying?

I swallow and nod solemnly at him. The scratches on his cheeks have healed a little, and I can tell in his face that he's grateful for that. But the way he squints his eyes in pain reminds me of his hand, which I hesitate to look at.

I place my hand on the shirt bandage. It's dark with his blood. I slump my shoulders and look up to Gerard's covered eyes. "How is it?"

He bites his lip. "It's fine, I guess."

"Does it hurt?"

"Of course." Gerard reaches up with his other hand and swipes his hair out of his face. It seems to be irritating him.