Chapter Twenty

We only barely manage to escape. Again.

Gerard and I take refuge in an old junkyard. It smells disgusting, but I guess it's better than nothing. We've run away and hid like this so many times, I don't think I even get scared anymore. We sleep beside a dumpster. Again, it smells terrible, but I'm used to it. I did live in a sewer for most of my life. Gerard, on the other hand, constantly makes disgusted faces and quietly complains to himself. He isn't talking to me- he hasn't spoken a full sentence towards me for the past three hours. I think it's best for us to be alone with our thoughts for a while, though, just until we get on the move again.

Gerard hasn't eaten. Neither have I. We did bring all of our supplies with us, but I don't think Gerard has the energy or drive to bother. I certainly don't. I never do.

Just as the sun is setting, and Gerard's making himself a makeshift bed from an old mattress and a couple of rags, I notice a large flock of birds fly over and land themselves just a distance away from where we are. I don't think the birds notice us.

I shrug the birds off as nothing, then look around for something I can make a bed out of. By the sad look of things, Gerard's taken all the good supplies. I sigh and pull a gross blanket over, and lay down on it. The ground is uneven and uncomfortable. A cold breeze shifts through the junkyard, and I have to hug myself to keep warm.

I'm barely a meter across from where Gerard is laying. I stare over at him through the dimming sunlight. He's on his back, staring up at the sky. When another cold breeze comes through, Gerard shivers, sitting up and pulling his jacket sleeves over his arms. He looks briefly over at me, sadness in his eyes.

I do nothing but return the look. I'm sad, too. This isn't how people should live, is it? This has never been how people should live. All of it- the stupid rules, how the people treat us- all of it. I don't feel like we deserve to be treated like this... at least, Gerard doesn't. He deserves a happy life, one that he didn't get. Living all alone in solitude. I know how it feels.

It seems Gerard gets all that from my eyes. He only nods at me, solemn. More wind gusts. My ears and face are numb. I try not to make it look like I'm shivering as much as I am. Gerard buries his face in his knees and hugs them. This is the coldest I've ever felt in the whole month.

But we don't even know what month it is.

That's got to be sad. Not knowing that. Not knowing the date, or what's really going on with the world. Not even knowing your own birthday , or knowing if your parents are even alive, or knowing that they're not alive at all...

The sun is now barely visible in the horizon, and the shape of Gerard's cold silhouette starts to dim with the light. I can hear Gerard shifting on the mattress.

I yawn, and a siren blares in the distance, reminding us of who we are.

I close my eyes, but I do not sleep. I can't.

***

It's morning. My eyes are not open, but I know it's morning. I can tell by how tired I feel. I can tell by the chilly atmosphere, and the way the birds are chirping. Though, despite the cold morning, I feel warmer than I used to. I tiredly open my eyes as bright light invades my vision.