Chapter Six

"If you really need to know."

I nod, a little less scared now. "Yeah. I do."

"Dropped this while lighting it." He mumbles, rummaging around in his jacket pockets and pulling out a black lighter.

I blink. "Oh. What did you need it for? Do you-"

"I dunno," He interrupts me and shrugs. "I just like playing with it. Watching the fire."

I nod slowly, not sure what to say. And then something hits me almost right after, "Why did..."

He raises an eyebrow at me, "What? If you're gonna ask me stuff, at least finish-"

"Why did you save me?"

He hesitates. "I, uh... I didn't really save you, necessarily." His eyes shift nervously.

"Really? 'Cause it sure seemed like you were saving me."

He swallows, "No."

"So why didn't you leave me to die? Seems like something someone like you would do." I almost grimace. I don't mean to say that last part. Will it offend him?

He draws a sad breath and looks down at his hands. "Yeah. You're right. Leaving you to die does seem like something I would do," He looks back up to me. "But I didn't do it."

"And I wanna know why." I press.

He rolls his eyes. "You always want to know 'why.'"

I look from left to right, not sure what to say. What can I say?

"Have you got any more stupid questions for me?" He asks, the fire returning in his eyes.

"Just one more thing..."

"Hurry up, then."

"Why won't you let me go?"

"Because, I..." He stops. It seems like he doesn't really know how to answer. Or maybe he doesn't even know an answer at all. "I... I don't know."

I squint at him, "You don't know?"

For the first time ever, Gerard seems frantic. "No more questions."

"Why can't you answer the-"

He grabs my arms and speaks through almost-gritted teeth. "No more questions."

I tense up. "Okay, all right... no more questions."

He abruptly lets go of me and gives me a dismissive look. I sigh and get up, using the wall. When I'm about to leave to my room, Gerard suddenly pins me against the wall. His eyes are closer than they've ever been. "And no more attempts at escaping."

I nod nervously, and he lets go of me, letting my arms fall back to my sides. I hurry to my room right away, not wanting to stay around him any longer.

When I close the door and hear the lock click, I'm left standing here. What can I do now? What is there to do? I'm nothing but a prisoner. A prisoner who doesn't even know why they're being locked away. I'm determined to find out. For some reason, he didn't want to tell me. And I still don't have my answers. There's still things I want to know. Things that I will stop at nothing to find out. And, if at all possible, I will find the softer side of Gerard. I don't care what it takes.

The Identity Takers are the least of my problems.

Because I now have a new mission.