Chapter Thirty Nine

You know what I would be doing right now?

I'd be afraid. I'd be concealed under the covers, head hidden, curled up. I'd be afraid of this house and its white walls and loneliness that hangs in the air, and I'd be afraid of the stranger, the one that seems to be cloaked in shadow all the time. The one with the sharp eyes. The one who saved my life but thinks absolutely nothing of it.

I'd be so scared.

But all that was before, it all seems to far away, so far off that it feels like it never existed at all.

And now, as I'm waking up in the white walled room, I feel different. In fact, the whole room glows with an odd difference, like it isn't even the same room anymore. Like the police rushed in and stole all of the depression.

Like the whole world did some sort of weird shift.

I'm actually enjoying the small amount of light peering in from outside. The way the dull white has suddenly turned brighter, like a lamp being turned on. Like a light eliminating all darkness. So, yes. Things are definitely different, because I never enjoy sunlight. And I never enjoyed this room, either, but look how swiftly that's changed. Life is now a constant reminder that things are changing fast. Faster all the time.

It's hard to remember how the rest of yesterday went. Probably because there wasn't much more to it. I think we sat around and then fell asleep super early. Maybe not. I only know that the rest of yesterday was uneventful, because I can't remember. Dull things are hard to remember. Sometimes.

But, I do remember Gerard. Of course. How happy he seemed. I don't think the smile ever faded from his face, and I even think he wandered off to bed smiling, as well. And all that smiling probably confused him a bunch, considering how rarely those muscles in his face are used. Maybe his face hurts this morning, I don't know.

Maybe the smiling was the relief of returning home. Even if he never said it out loud to me, I could see the look on his face; his pupils expanding when he saw the house, the tense of his shoulders disappearing.

But that was all yesterday. Maybe he isn't as happy anymore. Maybe it's worn off.

I hope not. I love seeing his smile.

Speaking of Gerard, I can hear his tired footsteps creaking on the floor. Hm. Weird. I thought he might sleep in. Guess not.

And soon, Gerard's face appears in the doorway, yawning, hair disheveled and covering his eyes.

"Morning." I say, feeling the urge to yawn after him, then raise an eyebrow. "Nice hair."

He gives me a look, then saunters over. "Thanks," Then Gerard reaches over and ruffles my hair. "You're not looking too bad, yourself." He smirks, leaning on the bedpost. Did it just get really warm in here?

I shrug. I'm not sure if it's to Gerard, or to myself.