Chapter Thirty Six

It's completely dark when we break away from the trees and reach civilization.

The bright glare of the streetlights shines through the glass of the car's windshield, the luminosity causing me to squint. Gerard narrows his eyes, too, slowing the car down the street.

I glance out the window, small houses appearing in simple lines.

The car quickens its pace, and I look over at Gerard, whose fingers are tightening rather tensely on the steering wheel. I raise an eyebrow, wondering what he's thinking about.

No, scratch that.

It's not him I should be worrying about.

Not right now.

I should really be wondering about where we are, what we'll do, where we'll stay. You know. The basics.

"Gerard?" I turn my head to him, using a hand to shield my eyes from the streetlights. "Do yo-"

"I know where we are," Gerard cuts in, acting as if he knew what I was gonna say. There's a little hesitation on his face, though. "I think."

I sigh. "Well, that's reassuring."

Then he gives me an odd look. "I know where we are, Lynx."

"Doesn't seem like it."

"I know. That's because I've only been here once or twice." He pauses, scanning the cracked road out in front of us. The number of small buildings is gradually increasing. I stare at the houses, a sudden feeling of loneliness nearing me. I don't know why I feel lonely. I think it's because I'm so used to having a lot of people buzzing around. It's stupid to feel lonely, though, because Gerard's sitting right here. Maybe it was the empty feeling this small town gives off that caused me to forget.

Gerard continues. "And that was a while ago."

I slump back in my seat, emitting a tired sigh. No, more than tired. Exhausted. Enervated.

Woah. That's a new word.

Gerard makes a clicking sound with his tongue, eyebrows furrowed into a concentrated gaze. "Keep your eye out for places to crash."

I smirk in amusement at the word "crash." It's funny because we're in a car and I know that Gerard's not exactly the best driver, so, you know. It's funny.

Though, I guess it wouldn't be funny if we actually did crash.

Yeah, that'd be hysterical.

Abruptly Gerard coughs in a very evident way, and I realize it's because he's trying to get my attention. Did I really lose focus for that long? No. No way. Gerard's just super impatient and cranky. Well, he's probably exhausted- I mean, enervated- just like I am, so that makes sense. But, jeez, give me a break.