Chapter Twelve

It's so incredible. There are dozens of outsiders in the underground shelter. Every new face I get a glimpse of, makes me so excited. There was a whole revolution underway, and I hadn't even known. All of this, and it was right under my feet.

The shelter is basically a really large hallway, a number of doors on each side. There's a larger door at the very end of the hallway, and it makes me curious. There are people walking back and forth from the rooms. Some of them glance over Gerard and I, but most just keep walking. I know it's strange to say, but it's never felt so awesome to be barely acknowledged.

I don't really pay much attention during the tour Frank gives us. My mind is too focused on all the questions I want to ask. Like, when was the place first built? Who was the one who started it? How do you go out for food and supplies without being recognized? Okay, that last one could easily be answered. I mean, Gerard and I had to do the same. But, I just thought, considering there's so many of them, they'd need more people to get excessive amounts of supplies. Right? How would they be able to mask that many people? Gerard and I had a tough time as it was.

I remember some of the rooms Frank introduces- kitchen, sleeping quarters, supply room- but the rest are a blur. The last place Frank leads us to is the large door at the end of the hallway.

Frank stops and addresses us before opening the door. "This is the meeting room. We all join in here regularly to discuss anything unusual that we might be seeing, and other stuff like that."

The room is fairly big, a long table with a ton of chairs stretching across the middle of the room. There's a large screen and a projector on the front wall. I also notice a ton of papers scattered all over the table.

"Anything going on right now?" I ask, leaving my other questions for later. "Like, have you found out anything that the Iden- I mean, the cops, are doing?"

Frank shakes his head. "Nope. Everything's been pretty bland this month."

Gerard's eyes look weary and alert. He finally talks after not speaking for the entire tour. "And you haven't been noticed at all?"

"No, not this month," Frank shakes his head again. "Well, except for you, of course."

"But if we found you, doesn't that mean anyone can?" Gerard looks pretty skeptical, especially by the way his face is scrunched up with concern.

Frank considers it. "I guess, but the only people that have noticed the shelter are people like you and me. I guess our kind just have a knack for these things."

Our kind. Never thought I'd ever hear that out of anyone's mouth before. All I'd ever think I'd hear was "my kind."

"How long has this place been running for?" I question.

"Five strong years," Frank says proudly, a smile spreading across his face. "The guy who created this place is long dead, though."

Gerard looks surprisingly shocked by that. "What?"

"He was old," Frank shrugs. "Teenagers aren't the only ones who are rebelling."

Something seems to switch in my brain when he says that. It gives me a kind of... new hope. That there actually are people who are making an effort to restore things back to the way they used to be, not just me. Sure, the previous world was never perfect, even through my young eyes- but at least people had their freedom. At least we had our expression.

There's silence from the both of us for a while. Gerard stands there, arms crossed, like he's trying to piece everything together. Meanwhile, I'm standing there studying his expression. Is he wondering about all the things I am? Is he as hopeful and curious, like I am, or does he even care?