Chapter Fourteen

Gerard's been quiet for a while.

Like, when I say quiet, I mean completely quiet. He hasn't said one word to me since I woke up a couple minutes ago. I've just been here, leaning against the door frame. He doesn't even seem to notice that I'm here, the door swung wide open. Gerard hasn't moved from the couch at all. He seems to be... thinking a lot. The look on his face is solemn and strange, the way he stares into space like he's got nothing better to do.

Something's definitely on his mind, but, I haven't got the slightest idea of what that could be. I'm afraid to ask, though. People get irritated when you bother them. That's something I've recently learned.

There's been something on my mind, as well. I'm worried about our location. We'd already escaped the grasp of the police, like, a bunch of times- who's to say it won't happen again? And what if they find out where we're living, too? Gerard's house isn't camouflaged at all. It looks pretty much like any normal person's house. If they were that desperate to find us- no doubt they are- then they could evacuate every house until they found us. Right? I mean, they don't seem intelligent, but they're also not dumb.

I don't want to go over there and sit beside Gerard, 'cause I don't know if he'd get mad at me for leaving my room.

Though, I don't think he will. He would've said something when he saw me like this at the door... possibly. With a shrug, I step forward and cross that "line" in the floor that Gerard mentioned when I first got here. I glance quickly over to the couch where he's sitting, but he doesn't react.

I casually slip over and sit beside him. It's been a little while since I sat on the red couch, and it feels oddly springy- so springy, that it makes an awkward sound when I sit on it.

Gerard barely glances over to me. It looks like he's too occupied with looking at his shoes. Maybe things are okay now. Maybe I won't have to stay in that boring room anymore. We'll have to see.

Gerard leans back, and looks at me through tired eyes. "...Oh."

I tilt my head at him. "What?"

"Nothing," He shakes his head. "I just didn't realize you were there."

I nod slightly. "And you're not mad that I'm out of my room?"

"I guess," Gerard shrugs, then seems to hesitate a little. "A-And... you're not going to run away, right?"

I pretend to look like I'm thinking about it, though I know the answer. "No. I promise I won't."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

He tries to smile shakily at me.

"Is everything okay?" Stupid Lynx. Obviously everything isn't okay.

Gerard barely shrugs in response. "I'm not sure anymore."

Silence.

"So, uh... the only reason you locked me in there was to make sure I didn't run off?"

A nod.

And then more silence. I anxiously tap my foot on the ground. I can't think of anything to say. I wish Gerard would speak up, but he's staring at his hands again. That's all he seems to do lately. It's kinda worrying me.

I sigh and get up from the uncomfortable couch. I'm not sure how long it's been since I've eaten anything, but I'm starving. I just hope Gerard managed to grab some other stuff back there in that small grocery store, 'cause I'm not in any mood to eat what I grabbed.