Chapter 9 - 22nd May, 2022

I jumped out of bed with the  day already planned

I jumped out of bed with the day already planned. In my head was a list of the things I wanted to do. First of all, I had to talk to dad and make sure he didn't drop into his mum's house before I was finished preparing for the big reveal. Next, I'd make one last sweep of the house and make sure everything was perfect, even mow the lawns if I get the time. Last of all, I wanted to open the remaining two boxes. I had no idea what was in them, which gave me a weird kind of thrill...I really need to get a life. Other 20 year old guys are either studying, working or fucking....I was doing none of the above. Instead, I was turning into a hermit and getting my jollies from rummaging through dusty old boxes. Even stranger was the fact that I wasn't bothered about any of that. I had no problem with not being typical.

I pulled on a pair of sweat pants, a T, and grabbed a fresh fluro pink chew from my bedside draw, and headed off to the kitchen. My phone pinged and I had a quick look. It was a text from the ex. Hmmm...it had the same effect on me as hearing the screeching brakes of a car as it slams into a wall at full speed. I didn't want to look. She was spoiling my day remotely. I popped the chew in my mouth.

Luckily, Dad was already sitting eating breakfast. One look at his face and I could see he was dead on his feet. I patted him on the head. "Suffering a bit of jet lag, are we?" I said as I made my way over to Mum. She was flipping pancakes onto a plate.

I could feel her searching my face for signs of mischief. "Don't be cheeky. And get that bloody thing out of your mouth. You didn't even have a dummy when you were a baby." She tried to tug on the cord, nearly losing her glasses as I quickly swerved around her. "You look like you need more sleep. What time did you get in last night?" She changed tack. Dorothy Morrison nee May, only came to my chin these days, which I found adorable. I'm sure she's shrinking. I kissed her on the forehead, pushed her glasses back up her nose with the tip of my finger and helped myself to the plate she was still holding.

I sat down opposite Dad before Mum had a chance to complain. "I'm fine Mum. It wasn't that late, around 1 o'clock. For a change I got a good night sleep." Mum made great fluffy, fat pancakes. I drowned them in maple syrup and dropped a couple of strawberries on top...the breakfast of champions.

I looked over at Dad "Would you mind not going to Grandma's house until Monday. I need to do a couple more things." I asked quietly, he really did look rough around the edges. His blonde hair was now well on the way to turning white, he really was starting to look old.

"I thought you said you've been busy over there since I left." He gave me a look that made me feel 5 years old again.

"I have, everything is done. I want to make a few finishing touches, you're in for a surprise." I sat beaming at him. Dad looked at me about to say something but he was just too tired to bother.

"Fine I'll be over on Monday after work. There's no rush anyway" He drank the last of his tea and peered at me over the cup. He sighed, exhausted. "Tim I want you here for dinner tomorrow, your brothers are coming as well...family dinner. I have something important to discuss with all of you." Dad's head drooped a little lower. He looked sad all of a sudden. "I have just one more thing I have to do for Mum."