32

—

"They abandoned us. Didn't they? No one's coming to save us now?" Hyoryeong had began to cry as we were left standing there, unsure on what to do.

"But, why would they do that?" Cheongsan asked.

"Maybe... they thought that all of us were already fucking zombies." Wujin conspired, our hands were still interlocked as I stood still, not moving.

"They would have killed us if so. They wouldn't have left us... here alive if they thought that." Joonyeong pointed out.

After hearing this Cheongsan quickly ran over to the fire, immediately kicking it as Onjo quickly followed, grabbing a hold of the boy.

"What are you doing?" Onjo asked as Cheongsan quickly flicked her hand off of him.

"It's pointless. No one's coming. No one else is coming." Cheongsan spoke before continuing his rampage, kicking the SOS sign around whilst also screaming until he finally felt that he had let all his anger out.

We had all sat down and kept to ourselves until the sudden sound of thunder caused me to flinch. I began to feel water land on my head and once I looked up, more had begun to fall.

Wujin quickly helped me get up as I immediately cupped my hands together in hopes of catching any water to drink.

Daesu had begun to cheer as we all held our heads up with our mouths open. Wujin and Daesu had laid on the floor, their arms and legs spread wide as their mouths laid open, small laughs escaping their lips.

The other girls had begun to cry, which quickly lead me to join in as reality had finally hit and it hit hard. Soon enough, everyone had begun to cry, however, our cries were barely audible over the sound of the thunder and rain.

Eventually we had all calmed down with the occasional sniffle being heard. We were now sat under a cover that had been created by Suhyeok and Cheongsan as mine and Wujin's hands were now, once again, interlocked. Cheongsan and Joonyeong had already explained to us their plan as we were all still, processing what we were about to go through.

"If we manage to reach the mountain, we can make it all the way to Yangdong. I've been hiking their a few times before with my dad." Onjo stated as we all continued to sit in silence.

"Even still, isn't this suicide?" Wujin sighed.

"I'm not going. I'm scared. What are we gonna do if the zombies catch us?" Hyoryeong joined in.

"It's not like anyone is going to save us if we stay here. We're the only ones who can save ourselves." Cheongsan pointed out before positioning himself so he was in front of us. "Let's go. If anything goes wrong, I'll scream and lead the zombies away. That way none of you will get hurt, okay? So, let's do this."

"Don't say that. We're all gonna make it." Suhyeok spoke, standing up as he did so.

"If anyone has to die tonight, it will be me."

"Because of the rain, all of the scents came to me at once. They got mixed up. The rain is really loud too. I'm sure the zombies' senses are dulled." Namra stated, I could see from her face that she was under some discomfort.

"If that's what a hambie says, it should be reliable." Daesu agreed.

"What's a hambie?" Suhyeok asked whilst staring the boy down.

"A half zom... someone you can rely on. You guys ready?" Daesu cut himself off, causing me to smile a little. "Namra is strong. She'll keep up. Let's take her word and go."

"I'm not strong, right now."

"Why not?" I questioned as I turned to the girl.

"I don't know." Namra replied before I turned back to Cheongsan.

"I think some of us might not be able to keep pace." I stated.

"We can't have anyone fall behind, let's pair up and hold hands. For protection." Cheongsan announced.

"Okay!" Daesu exclaimed before holding his hand out towards me. I quickly shook my head and gave him an apologetic look before Wujin quickly got up and pulled me along with him. Eventually we had all found our duos and luckily for Daesu, he had finally managed to be partnered with Joonyeong after I watched him go through a large amount of rejection.

We were now all standing in front of the door in a line, holding hands with our partners. Me and Wujin were right behind Onjo and Cheongsan who were at the front. Cheongsan had opened the door and had begun creeping out, Wujin was about to follow until I stopped him.

"Wujin, wait." I whispered as he quickly stopped moving, turning to me confused. That's when I took the chance and leaned in, our lips soon connected as Wujin stood still, most likely shocked at my sudden move until he quickly kissed back.

After a few seconds I had pulled away, staring at the boy with a small sigh resting on my face as I spoke, "We're both going to get out of this alive together, right?"

Wujin quickly nodded before leaning in again, this time it was much shorter as we had to be heading out into them stairwell.

We had began to walk down the stairs carefully, trying our best to not make a sound until the sound of the door closing suddenly made us jump.

A few scolding whispers were exchanged afterwards, mainly towards Daesu, before we continued to descend the stairs.

"Be careful." Wujin whispered to me, having to turn around to make sure I heard it as I quickly nodded before he turned back around. The occasional flash of light along with the sound of thunder made the air tense as every step we took made us unsure on whether we were about to be attacked.

After managing to get down one floor, our footsteps increased in speed as we grew more confident with what Namra had said before.

However, after walking down half of the stairs Cheongsan suddenly stopped in his tracks, causing us all to nearly bump into each other. The sound of a zombie growling made us grow nervous as we tried to look over the banister, trying to catch a glimpse of the threat.

A sudden boom of thunder caused the zombies to move away from our path as we continued to move towards our destination. Cheongsan had stopped at the side of the wall before turning back to look at all of us.

"Ready?" After seeing us all nod, Onjo and Cheongsan quickly began to run forward as we all followed, looking around to make sure none of them were charging at us.

Once we had made it to the entrance of the school, we hid next to the plants watching the zombies wearily until I notice something. One of the zombies, looked like my mom.

—