Chapter Fifty

"Hellhounds? I thought you were more creative then that"

"They're called classics for a reason"

No matter how many times I see it, empty towns still continue to give me the creeps

No matter how many times I see it, empty towns still continue to give me the creeps. Sets me on the edge faster than anything because there is no danger in sight... but it's around. Driving through Carthage I can feel it in the air. Like a suffocating blanket over the town. Leaning forwards in the Impala's backseat, I narrow my gaze out the windshield. There's not a soul in sight. Stores built under apartments completely stocked and windows unshattered. Cars are neatly parked along the sidewalk. It's like everyone just... vanished.

Slowing the car to a steady stop, the brothers retract their hands grasping phones from outside their respective windows. No signal so no Bobby. Super. "Am I the only one thinking", I quietly voice amongst our tense silence "That this doesn't bode well for us?"

"When has an empty city meant anything other than bad news?" Sam quietly agrees, staring sketchily out his window.

Besides us, Ellen's truck rolls to a halt "Place seems a little empty to you?"

With a brief nod, Dean motions out his window to the left "We'll check out the PD. You guys stay here. See if you can find anybody."

"I'll stay too", I'm already sliding out of the car "Highly doubt there's going to be any officers spared."

Huffing agreeable, Jo hoists herself down from the passenger seat "Or people."

"Well keep an eye out", Dean ignores our complaining "Okay?"

His gaze flickering to me I nod affirmatively. Deciding against pointing out his trip will be pointless. Quietly I watch the Impala roar around the corner and out of my view. Striding with Jo around to Ellen on the footpath I notice Castiel still sat in the passenger seat. I just roll my eyes considering the behaviour seems to be pretty standard. Although Jo knocks gently against the windshield, "Ever heard of a door handle?"

Suddenly apparaiting on the sidewalk, she leaps back "Of course I have."

Joe shooting me a look I simply shrug with a lazy smirk. She should've known better by now. However, the concerned look on his face isn't so typical of the Angel. Silently he gazes around the street as if taking something in. "Cas?" I warily voice, looking around the vicinity "What is it?"