Chapter Thirty Three

"This is sexist

"This is sexist."

"This is maths."

Our childhood was never normal

Our childhood was never normal. I'm an Alexander. The Hunter's life was never a choice. I needed to learn what was out there because Bobby wasn't always going to be there to protect me or my sister. I shaped myself into a protector which put me onto the path of the Winchesters. Just as much the Hunter family as I. Fought together, trained together, raised together. John Winchester never treated me anything less than his own. Suppose you could say I liked to think I knew him to at least some degree.

Although staring at the framed photo of John with his arm around Adam at a baseball game... my brows furrowing grudgingly. He never did anything like that with us. Whilst I spot Sam flinch my attention lifts to settle carefully on Dean. He did everything for his Dad- that was never a secret to me. So I'm not surprised to see his lip curling resentfully no matter the effort he puts into concealing it. He spent all this time here going out of his way to see Adam... but for any of us he could barely pick up the phone. That kind of bitterness seems to simmer under the cracks of Dean's masked façade. Gripping the frame, Dean stammers utterly astonished "He took you to a baseball game?"

"Yeah, when I turned fourteen" Adam motions to the frame fondly "Dad was around for a few of my birthdays."

Arching my brow I flicked my gaze to Sam. Catching my unsure look, Sam flips through John's journal he's brought in with us "September 29th. One word. Minnesota." Adam does a double-take but he is the only one. We all know what that means. John left to come here and be with his other boy.

"He-", Dean recaptures my attention as his words seem to buffer. All of the hesitations are gone seeing that photo. Any sliver of doubt he'd been clinging to go as it crashes down his father had a secret son with another woman. The second stretching, Dean baffled questions again "He took you to a freakin baseball game?"

"Why?" Adam obliviously bypasses the question with a smile "What he does for yours?"

"Oh", Dean does a poor job at brazenly waving away the question like we got it just as good.