13/Oaklee

It's cold

It's cold. It's so cold. Why can't I see anything. I move my arms around. I feels so light. What's happening?

  "Oaklee!" The voice sings out.

  Huh?

  "Oaklee!"

  "Momma?"

  "Oaklee! I'm so sorry!"

  "Momma, why are you sorry? There's nothing to be sorry about." I hear her sniffle.

  I close my eyes.

  "Oaklee, keeps your eyes open for me."

  "Momma, I'm scared."

  "I know you are, but you have to keep them open. You can do it. You've done it once, you can do it again, baby."

  I open my eyes, except this time I see a hallway with a close door. I turn to see another closed door on the other side.

  "What is this?"

  As soon as those words left my mouth the doors opens. One is shining, almost blindly white. The other is black with two white shining silhouettes.

  "Baby, you have to choose."

  "I'm tired of choosing, papa."

  "It's okay. It's okay to be scared and tired. But right now you need to be strong. Stronger than we were. You have to choose."

  They sound so close but they are so far.

  "What's happening? Am I free?"

  "No baby, not yet. You will be. Soon." Mom says. She sounds so happy, calm.

  "I wanna be with you, Momma. Please let me."

  "I know you are tired, I know you are physically and emotionally drained. But you have to keep going. Life is tough, my darling, but so are you."

  "I thought I got to choose? I choose to be with you! Let me! Please!" I scream, pleading.

  "One day, you are going to have the love of your life and many children. Just like we did except our time was cut short, yours will not be. Be strong. Be safe. Be happy. For us. Know we love you and we are always with you."

  "Momma! Papa! Please, don't leave me again! I want you!"

  "You will see. You will feel it. Never let it go."

  The door shut and then I stood there feeling like I was nothing. I turned my head over, looking over my shoulder. I stare at the bright door.