Chapter 15: Dining Disaster

Terrible

Terrible. That's what the holidays are. The first thing the Dursleys did when we arrived home was to lock our trunks and our wands under the stairs. Our owls were put in our rooms, but they still weren't let out. Me and Harry had to do chores all over the house, mainly cleaning it for when the Masons arrive.

The Masons are Uncle Vernon's bosses and he wants to get a promotion, which is why he's inviting them in the first place. The only break me and Harry get is when we're in the garden. I mean, sure, we're still doing work, but we're away from the crazy household that is either bossing us around or completely ignoring us. I don't know which I prefer.

However, we have been having a bit of fun. Whenever Dudley works up the courage to come near us without Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia around, we enjoy taking it in turns in muttering nonsense words; and watching him scream, and run away from the room. Of course, we always get in trouble for that. Dudley goes off to get Aunt Petunia, and then, me and Harry are locked in our rooms, or made to do more chores. So, the holidays are going great ! And I didn't have a room anymore, so I'm sharing a room with Harry.

Just then, Hedwig screeches so loudly.

"Shh, Hedwig, you'll get us into trouble." said Harry. I give him a tight smile. We're already in trouble.

"Potters ! Get down here !" said Uncle Vernon. I look at Harry, and we sigh, making our way out of our room and going downstairs.

"What did I tell you about those ruddy birds ?" said Uncle Vernon, so sharply.

"They're just bored. If we could only let them out for... an hour or two..." I say, but Uncle Vernon cuts me off.

"What, so you can send sneaky little messages to your freaky little friends ? I don't think so." He laughs, so coldly.

"We haven't gotten any messages from any of our friends." said Harry. It's true. The holidays might have been bearable with some letters from our friends, but we haven't gotten anything. It's like they've forgotten about us.

Uncle Vernon ignores Harry. Instead, he turns to my aunt.

"Now, the Masons will be here any minute ! Let's go over it. Dudley, when you arrive, you will be... ?" said Uncle Vernon, all dressed up in his suit.

"I'll be waiting to open the door." Dudley says in a stupid posh voice. "May I take your coats, Mr. and Mrs. Mason ?" He mimics the action of that. Honestly, I have to stifle a giggle. He looks ridiculous ! And in that suit as well... Ha !

"Oh ! The Masons are just going to love him !" said Aunt Petunia. I roll my eyes.

"Yes, yes. Very good. Now, Petunia, you will be... ?" said Uncle Vernon.

"I'll be in the living room, waiting to welcome them graciously into our home." said Aunt Petunia. Uncle Vernon smiles. A horrid sight, actually. Then, all the Dursleys turn around to us.