Chapter 40 ~ I'd burn the world.

~Dream's POV~

I take the journal and the paper, sprinting for the door. I look out the hallway, but nothing. He isn't there. He must've left. I sprint back to my window, hoping he hasn't left, and as I look out, I see him.

He's walking out the doors. I don't waste time, and I jump out the window, climbing down multiple floors with the vines that grow on the castle walls. "Tommy!" I yell, jumping a few feet down from the vines only to land on the items I had threw out.

"Tommy, wait!" I speed to the courtyard. He can hear me, I know he can. He doesn't acknowledge me, but keeps walking instead, making his way to the exit, outside the castle grounds.

I run even faster, and once I reach him I'm panting. "I'm sorry!" I cry out, and not with tears, but with selfishness that washes over me. "I should've listened to you, I'm sorry!" He stops walking, but he doesn't look at me.

"We can bring her back, Tommy! Then everything will be okay!" I try to enlighten the both of us, but nothing. He doesn't move, and he doesn't even cry like he did when he was in my room. "There is no we, Dream." He grits out, slowly looking into my direction.

"Wilbur was right all along." I shudder. He doesn't mean that, does he? "You wanted her dead, that's what you wanted." He makes it sound as if he's being sarcastic, but he clearly isn't. I allow for the tears to pool at the bottom of my eyes, and I shake my head no.

"No." I bite my lip, trying to convince him that he's wrong. "N- No, Tommy." My voice shakes. "Why would I want that?" I ask. This has to be a joke. For him to think that I would want Y/n dead. It sounds absurd.

"Because you weren't willing to bring her back, Dream!"

"Tommy, this is all a misunderstanding, of course I want her back!" I cry out. "I didn't know! I didn't that you were trying to tell me you knew how to bring her back!" I explain. There was no way I could've known.

"Well, you should've!" He yells back. "You lost your chance, Dream!" Why doesn't he understand? "Tommy, I was grieving her death, how was I supposed to know you had this all along?!" I raise the paper in the air, showing him what he should've showed me from the beginning.

Tommy bites back his tears, sucking in a sharp breath. "Only a monster would want my sister dead." That can't be unsaid. Even if he tried. I look down in shame. He's right. I am a monster, but I never wanted her dead.

He grabs his journal, and the paper from my hand, and chuckles sarcastically. People really do feed off my pain, do they? "You weren't the only one grieving her death, Dream." I don't look up at him, but I can hear him walk away.

I just stare. I stare into the soil beneath my feet, waiting for it to eat me up. I can't just leave it at that. It doesn't have to end so early. My whole life just to end like this. Her whole life only to end in such a horrible death I couldn't even save her from.

She deserves better.

"Tommy." I look up, and he stops. "Let's make a deal." He doesn't look at me, but instead looks down at his feet. "I don't think I want to make the same mistake you did, Dream." I know what he's talking about.

He's talking about the deal I made with Schlatt. "This is different." I tell him. He finally turns around, and I'm hoping he gives in. "And what exactly makes you think that I'd want to make a deal with the monster that murdered my sister?" I want to freeze.

I want to freeze, and I want to allow the pain to run up my veins all the way to my chest until it sinks into my heart, but I don't. Now isn't the right time to throw out my chance again. "Because I'm not doing this for myself, Tommy." I say. "I'm doing this for Y/n."