Chapter 19 ~ Nothing more and nothing less.

<<Y/n's POV 1 month later>>

"An election." Wilbur mentions. My eyes widen in both fear and shock. I didn't know what this meant, but it really isn't good. "What's the plan?" I ask. I don't really know how this'll go, but I know he has something in mind.

Because this isn't just an election and I know that. This was the beginning of a new era in L'manburg. "The initial plan or our plan now?" He asks. "Both." I reply, bluntly, now realizing there was both an initial plan and a plan now. He sucks in a breath through his teeth and I already feel like running away.

I don't wanna put up with any of this right now. I thought everything was well after the war and to hear that an election was being held in country we fought so hard for makes me fill up with hot, flaming fury. "We are the only party, so people will have to vote for us." He said.

"Well- We were. And then-" I had hope. But as soon as I heard the word 'Were' I think I lost it. I lost it a little too much because, as I bring a hand up, ending him mid sentence, I can feel my head throbbing against the thought of an election. "I don't wanna hear it." I say.

I walk away, feeling his gaze watching my every move. "You can keep your shit election to yourself because I'm not having any of it!" I yell, still walking ahead towards the gate not turning back. "I'm going on patrol!" I can feel him roll his eyes from behind me for walking a away and all I can think of right now is how dumb he is for holding an election for himself.

<<Time skip>>

I remember that night vividly. That night I was brought into what felt like a dream. A place where everything felt so surreal. And if magic were to be real, it would happen there. That night I was taken into a blissful moment of everything peaceful and beautiful.

I was taken to that beach. It's been a month, since the war. The war we fought so hard for, but lost so miserably. The war we ended up losing, but the war we still got the independence we longed for.

Every night is the same. Or at least I try for it to be. I sneak out when I'm not on patrol, crawling through a tunnel I built in the back of L'manburg where I know no one will find it, keeping it discreet and hidden. It's easier when I'm on patrol, leaving the walls effortlessly, which I honestly think don't need protecting.

The walls protect us enough and patrol is unnecessary. Or at least that's what I like to think. And then I start to run. Once I leave the walls, I run. I run like how I run right now, where it's like someone's life is on the line, but it's not.

I run back to that night and I'll run for as long as my legs will let me. And then I reach that night. I reach the beach where everything began. The origin of what I like to call our story. It doesn't take long before I see him. He's in his usual green sweater, fully armed and masked. He's looking into the water and I walk up from right behind him.

"Dream." His masked face meets mine. "You're late." He says, dismissively. "Wilbur had a word." He strides with his long legs, effortlessly towards that same spot we sit every night and I have to jog to match his pace. I mimic his position on the ground, right next to him.

I'm quiet. We both are. And it stays like that for most of the night, as we watch the waves crash against the glowing shore. It doesn't even feel like he's right next to me. And Dream and I are... Well I wouldn't consider friends, but I wouldn't call it enemies.