Chapter 31 ~ No longer fictional.

<<Time skip to the ball Y/n's POV>>

I'm stood in front of the mirror, eyeing myself adorned in the red ballgown handmade and crafted just for me. A dress made to fit me, and no one else. I look down, and pick up the mask that covers the top half of my face from my dresser. Also custom made for me.

This was nowhere close to the mask Wilbur had given me. What would he feel about it? I bring it up in front of my face, hovering it above my eyes. And for once my mouth and nose isn't covered, but won't that mean something else? Won't that mean people would see more of my face?

I hear a few silent knocks from my window, and I immediately switch out the mask to my usual one, and head towards the window, sliding open the curtains to reveal Tommy. I open the window, and he leans against the wall, panting like he had just ran a marathon.

"Are you gonna come in?" I ask him, but he shakes his no. "I won't stay long, I was just checking up on you." He tells me. I feel fortunate to have a brother like Tommy. Always checking up on me, ready to bring a smile on my face. "Are you still coming to the ball?" I question him.

He's in his usual clothes, but it isn't something you'd wear to such a formal event. "Yeah, I'll be there, I'm not so sure about Wilbur though." I assume he still isn't finished sulking about his L'manburg, but I'd rather not see him on such a dreadful day.

"Tommy, you do know it's a masquerade party, right?" I ask him, curious for multiple reasons. I know he still isn't looking forward to this ball, but his mind seems to be too clouded to complain. Almost as if there's a lot he's thinking about.

"Yeah, I have a mask and suit back at Pogtopia, why?" He asks me. I quickly pace towards my dresser, grabbing the red mask decked out in sequences that matches my dress. I take it back to the window, and held it up in front of Tommy.

"It doesn't hide my face very well." I say. I don't ask him why I need to hide my face in the first place, but nevertheless, the mask is mandatory for the ball anyways, so I guess it doesn't matter. "Put it on, so I can see." He tells me, and I do as he says, replacing my black mask for this red one.

"It only covers the top half of my face." I tell him, and he looks at me, studying my masked face. "As long as a portion of your face is hidden, it should be fine." He tells me. "You look great in it anyways." I smile, and he does the same.

I don't how I'll feel with my mouth exposed to the public, but as long as it doesn't hurt anyone, then Tommy's right. It should be fine. "Tommy, why did Wilbur give me this mask anyways?" I ask, raising up the black mask from where it was on the window sill.

His throat rolls, gulping down his saliva, and he shifts from one foot to another, but he doesn't say anything. He doesn't even look at me. "Tommy?" I ask, but it's hard to read his expression. He looks nervous, scared and possibly mad.

"Why is my face hidden, Tommy?" I raise my voice, and his eyes finally lock with mine. "Y/n, I don't wanna lie to you, but that isn't a question I can answer." He tells me. He sounds frustrated and pissed. "At least not yet." He mummers, but still enough for me to hear.

He shifts his gaze away from mine, looking at everything else, but me. I raise an eyebrow up, and he runs a hand through his hair. "I'm gonna go." He tells me, but his stare is locked onto the ground. "I'll see you at the ball." And with that, he's pacing away in a hurry.

"Frau Schlatt, the carriage is waiting for us!" I hear Quackity, my escort yell. "I'll be there!" I yell back. I consider him as one of my friends. Because although he works with Schlatt, he's quite loyal to me as well, treating me more than just his job, but as someone he cares about.