6 years ago : December 24th 2014

please remember to VOTE, FOLLOW, COMMENT, TAG and SHARE so i can get more publicity

——————————

6 years ago : December 24th 2014

"But Dadddyyy" i complain, "we always go away for Christmas, why aren't we this year?" I say whilst sucking intensely on the straw of my hot chocolate.

Christmas won't be the same if we don't go to Grannie and Grandad's! I mean everything would just feel wrong and it wouldn't be right. Christmas is about traditions and so everything has to stay perfect and normal.

"Because Button, the Hayes have very kindly invited us round for the Christmas holidays. And, your Mum doesn't want to go far this winter because the weather caused really icy roads that meant there's already been a few crashes so it would just be too dangerous and way too delayed until we get there," he explains whilst I sulk quietly not wanting to seem spoiled while also slightly choking on a mini marshmallow.

I bet it was a pink one.

I've always grown up in a fairly well off household but my parents taught me to know the value of money so I know to be grateful for what I have. Obviously i'm annoyed at the whole situation but there's gonna be people out there who don't even get presents, some might not even have food for dinner, so my immature sulking is just an overreaction and would only ruin my mood for the rest of the holiday, so i may as well not dwell on it.

Still, I'm a bit irritated that instead of spending Christmas with my Grannie and Grandad, it's gonna be in Levi's guest room with the permanent smell of Ezra's sweaty feet in my face as I try to sleep.

------------------------------

We slowly approach the Hayes house, the tyres of our car crunching on the thin layer of snow that's settled on the ground. Rolling into the drive and hop out the car, my chubby legs finding it hard to push my body forward with the 18 layers I have on.

My brother runs to get the knocker and I see Liam and Levi's heads poking from around the curtains. I can see their dark brown hair poking up and their noses pressed against the windows like little children.

They erupt into action at the sight of us and run off at full speed to get us into the house. As soon as the door opens, we quickly get pushed inside and immediately there's so much noise - the boys have a loud conversation, our parents give each other welcomes while 'Wham's - Last Christmas' plays distantly in the kitchen. Compared to the cold, frosty outside - the heat of the indoors causes a shiver to go up my spine, my blue fingertips slowly thawing in the warmth.

We practically get shoved in through the corridor and get settled into the cosy blankets with hot chocolate in our hands within seconds. Photos of their family adorn the walls, something they only do at Christmas, occasionally I see the odd photo of Ed or Jennifer in University, huddled up with their friends or boyfriends. It's weird to think they had a life before their family.

One photo is face down, it's an image of just after Levi was born. It's Jennifer, Ed, their parents and another man but I don't know who he is.

Picking it up, I place it back on the counter. It probably just fell down?

We all gather in the living room, cosying up next to each other even though there's plenty of space - even though half the room has been taken up by the Christmas tree and all the presents underneath it.

Completely at peace, I watch the fire flicker and spit as the sound of 'Elf' starts to play on the television.

Marshmallows and cream swirl in my cup as I twirl my spoon. I sip the chocolatey goodness and smile.